Template for Foam insert - Need pics

Reaction score
I'm trying to layout a template in .PDF format. I have a Pelican 1600 King Case and just bought foam to make my own insert. I have a cad type program I will use to generate the layout which can be transferred and cut. So far I'm working from scratch taking measurements and cutting templates for the components by hand. Would anyone be willing to take a few photos of their case (without the items in it) so I can generate a template? For images, I would nee the photo taken from 90 degrees perpendicular with some type of scale or ruler in the image. Once I have the template, I'll post it for all to use and share. I can also generate it in a photoshop file which would allow the user to move the cutouts around to their preferred make up. Any help is appreciated. I have a stock Phantom 2 V+ with two batteries currently.

To give an idea, This is what I have so far.

case_zpsqnsrbyhq.jpg

I have an actual template of my case with all the cutouts lying around somewhere. When I get home from work I'll see if I can find it. I bought a case with pull and pluck foam and got it about where I wanted it. I then went to a company that makes inserts and used their CAD program to get it right where I wanted it. They used quality foam and it came out excellent. No regrets at all...

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
Apparition said:
Very interested in this. Was thinking of doing the same thing.

If it isn't that busy today, I'll see if I can dig up the specifics... If not, I'll do it tonight...

-slinger

I'll check out the site. I may be able to use the image to work out a useable template. It'll depend on their accuracy in the image. If you wouldn't mind, could you take a straight on (top down) photo with a scale in it? any angle will distort the measurement. Also, which case are you using?

I used their site to obtain some shapes and measurements. I plan to do a sample print to see if things line up. I also added in my area / cutout for the gimbal rather than a straight down hole in the foam. I can see how their site is a huge benefit for these, I'm just a bit too cheap to drop the $150 they want for the insert. Below is a basic rendering of my planned test print. It's a pdf file currently but if it works, I should be able to provide a photoshop or vector file for anyone who needs it. My measurements are slightly off in a few areas, but it may be due to the shapes on the site not being exact due to image processing etc.

Included are Phantom, Charger, Controller, 2 batteries, propeller recesses (2), tablet, and an open area for misc items (black lower right.)

cutout_zpsgnamlnya.jpg

battman2036 said:
I used their site to obtain some shapes and measurements. I plan to do a sample print to see if things line up. I also added in my area / cutout for the gimbal rather than a straight down hole in the foam. I can see how their site is a huge benefit for these, I'm just a bit too cheap to drop the $150 they want for the insert. Below is a basic rendering of my planned test print. It's a pdf file currently but if it works, I should be able to provide a photoshop or vector file for anyone who needs it. My measurements are slightly off in a few areas, but it may be due to the shapes on the site not being exact due to image processing etc.

Included are Phantom, Charger, Controller, 2 batteries, propeller recesses (2), tablet, and an open area for misc items (black lower right.)

cutout_zpsgnamlnya.jpg

Hey... I might actually have the template for my case. Let me look around. Everything fit dead nuts balls on perfect, after a lot of pre-order measuring, tweaking and modifying...

-slinger

Apparition said:
gunslinger said:
Thanks for the link.

If you buy a fairly inexpensive case and spend the time to configure your template properly. (This entails "finishing" it... walking away and looking at it again tomorrow... a few times...) It's well worth the price. It's also a very good idea to spend some time looking around at how other people have their cases configured as it's pretty amazing how many really nice ideas you can pick up that way. We're a pretty creative bunch...

That being said... I found these guys, from a customer support perspective, very easy to deal with and I found their product to be absolutely top notch. They gave me "EXACTLY" what I asked for.

-slinger

battman2036 said:
gunslinger said:
Hey... I might actually have the template for my case. Let me look around. Everything fit dead nuts balls on perfect, after a lot of pre-order measuring, tweaking and modifying...

-slinger

Any luck on that template?

Sorry... forgot my password to the site... and it took them three days to respond. I'll get on that tonight, bro...

-slinger

Any luck on that template?

Okay... I'm finally back into their website... Unfortunately all I can do is get screen shots of the actual sizes. Here's one... Which cut outs are you interested in?

my-case-template01.jpg

Work in progress
IMG_0407_zpsftqjqyc3.jpg
IMG_0409_zps1lbyismq.jpg

Whoa... That's from the website I gave you the link to??? Man. What I'm seeing on there is nowhere near as sophisticated as that... That's pretty frickin' awesome...

Looks good.

I decided I'll cut my own out. I'm waiting on a transformer to complete a hotwire cutter and I ordered a pelican 1510. I played around with the site above and have a general idea of what I plan to do.

Gunslinger (i don't know how to quote yet) I used the measurements and shapes from the site to build an EPS file then used my vinyl cutter to draw a template with a pen.
f64e25b4-f918-49a4-9bbc-e5ee3d0effbb_zpsxybmr9qz.jpg

Apparition, I wasn't patient enough to wait for a hot wire system. I used a couple knives and went to work. The hot wire would let you cut multiple layers exactly the same. If I do it again, I'm going that route.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4