Telemetry lost

Reaction score
Tinkering with a P2VP. The unit flies and responds well to the controls. The gimbal does the fancy breakdance on startup and does not stop (even after recalibrating compass and doing IMU manual calibration on Windows). In the Vision App on my phone I have "Phantom Connection Broken" showing with the camera not displaying (expected that). But I am not getting any of the other telemetry data values (satellites, copter power, SD card, etc). I am able to get the battery life on the wireless transmitter/receiver that sits on the radio controller.

Is my loss of telemetry related to a broken wifi module? Is the telemetry data calculated/relayed by the main board of the camera gimbal itself?

BC

The wi-fi module needs a healthy connection to a working camera board to supply both a video stream and telemtery. If your camera board is defective or the wiring is damaged then you will not be able to establish a wi-fi link with the phantom.

Well .... errrr .... you could buy an RF power meter and an adapter cable and then see if there was any output coming out of the antenna sockets, but that wouldn't be cheap; it wouldn't solve your camera problem and I'm not sure whether the wi-fi module would actually produce any output if the camera board was defective.

This happens repeatably right? I have had it happen on occasion and had to cycle bird.

Before I sent it back I might consider downgrading the firmware and then updating it to new. Just to be sure. Or if you dont have new then do it.

So I guess I need more understanding on the telemetry. Is the info not processed on the main board and then merely transmitted via the wifi module? Your statement implies that a functioning gimbal IMU is required for telemetry.

I guess what I am trying to tease the problem down to is whether or not the issue is the wifi module or the gimbal. Since I do not have a second P2VP lying around I cannot swap parts to see if it is the gimbal. I did connect the unit up to my Windows PC and this is what I got in the P2VP utility app, note the Hardware ID for the gimbal is listed as (-1). Should the wifi module show up on the list of items?

itchybeard said:
The wi-fi module needs a healthy connection to a working camera board to supply both a video stream and telemtery. If your camera board is defective or the wiring is damaged then you will not be able to establish a wi-fi link with the phantom.

Attachments

• 2014-09-21 14.34.13.jpg
    2014-09-21 14.34.13.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 502
I replaced the wifi module on the board. Still no telemetry. Am I supposed to pair the wifi module with the range extender? How do I do that? There is a MAC address listed on the wifi module. The camera still dances. Anyone know?

If it's too complicated I'm tempted to part it out or list the items on ebay...

The Vision+ FPV system requires BOTH the Wi-Fi module & the camera (at least the camera base) to function. If you have replaced the Wi-Fi module on your Phantom or the Wi-Fi extender, you need to pair them. Instructions for pairing can be found in the Vision+ User Manual.

Dirty Bird, thanks for pointing me in that direction! I used the sticky on "how to get the MAC address of the camera" using a wifi scanner. As soon as I linked up the wifi module I was able to get telemetry. The app picks up satellite data, etc. WOOHOO.

Now the gimbal error of "Remove Gimbal Lock" shows but the sensor works (able to take still pictures and it saves to SD card but does not stream to app due to error message). Will keep searching. If I can get the gimbal aligned correctly I can fly again!

buddhacanooda said:
Dirty Bird, thanks for pointing me in that direction! I used the sticky on "how to get the MAC address of the camera" using a wifi scanner. As soon as I linked up the wifi module I was able to get telemetry. The app picks up satellite data, etc. WOOHOO.

Now the gimbal error of "Remove Gimbal Lock" shows but the sensor works (able to take still pictures and it saves to SD card but does not stream to app due to error message). Will keep searching. If I can get the gimbal aligned correctly I can fly again!

On mine the "Remove GL" message goes away as soon as I become airborne. Also the pictures are not as clear as the correctly operating gimbal isolates the camera from vibrations.

Cocoa,
I'm now stuck with loss of live video feed but telemetry and other camera functions (movie/stills on sd card) work fine. Looking on other posts it looks wifi module related. I'll tinker with firmware but it looks like I may need another part. Grrrr.

BC

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
buddhacanooda said:

On mine the "Remove GL" message goes away as soon as I become airborne. Also the pictures are not as clear as the correctly operating gimbal isolates the camera from vibrations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers