Tehachapi Loop with trains

Reaction score
Visited the Tehachapi Loop last weekend, got lucky and caught some Trains. This is one of them. All the video was shot using Litchi. This was my third mission, I think I'll stop counting now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is an area near where I live with a lot of train activity (Cajon Pass) and great places for photos/flying but I've been worried about rules/laws concerning flying around trains/over tracks, etc.. Are there any rules/restrictions around trains, train-tracks, or Southern Pacific property? I guess it's not like my 42oz plastic drone is going to hurt a freight-train but you never know what kind of [stupid] rules their may be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisA
There is an area near where I live with a lot of train activity (Cajon Pass) and great places for photos/flying but I've been worried about rules/laws concerning flying around trains/over tracks, etc.. Are there any rules/restrictions around trains, train-tracks, or Southern Pacific property? I guess it's not like my 42oz plastic drone is going to hurt a freight-train...
I do not know of or have not seen anything specific to trains, unless that falls under "sensitive infrastructure". I guess it could. There isn't a consumer or professional drone on the market that would "hurt" one of these beasts. I originally purchased my Phantom specifically to photograph trains and trackage in the LA Harbor and Alameda Corridor to do research for my model railroad, it is 75% of what I film. I hope they don't stop me which is why you don't see more of my train videos here. I try to be very careful and i do follow the "rules" as I interpret them. mostly i just try to fly under the radar, get in and out quick.

Reactions: NotARubicon
Visited the Tehachapi Loop last weekend, got lucky and caught some Trains. This is one of them. All the video was shot using Litchi. This was my third mission, I think I'll stop counting now.

Look how different the loop looks just 8mos later, in Dec 2016. The 2nd track is installed and operational.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31