Tarto T-2D Install guide...

Reaction score
Is there a video tutorial on setting up and attaching to the phantom after the initial build?
If not, is there anything that someone has written up?

Can I test it by hooking up power directly before the install? It's box was crushed by DHL, but is not visibly broken...just curious.

I believe you can test it by plugging it in. I am assuming it uses similar technology to the Matinez board gimbals, and they do not need to connect to the receiver or the NAZA to work.

I use an 850mah battery for my unit, and it works well, and is light weight.

Hope this helps

Darren

First of all, I suggest that you put some time aside and read through the Tarot thread at rcgroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1917049

There is a how-to-assemble video that is quite helpful here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbh9RUHs ... e=youtu.be

I've learned the proverbial "hard way" that the Tarot is not nearly as plug-n-play as I expected. Worse yet, I've evidently damaged the control board when my screwdriver slipped while assembling -- I can't get it to work properly and have ordered a replacement.

But... once you assemble the gimbal it can be tested without doing a serious mounting. It does need to be held quite still and probably level before you plug it in. You'll see a tiny yellow LED once it has power... it takes some time, then it turns to blue and the gimbal is "live".

My Tarot gimbal is on the way and I'm trying to get ready to install it. I think I'm squared away for everything except two items. I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. First, I'm looking for instructions on how to hook up the tilt so that it will work with the stock DJI transmitter. I can't seem to find a thread or video showing how to do it. Second, I have downloaded the software for the gimbal from several different sites and can't seem to get it to launch. It comes as a Gopo.rar file and the only thing I seem to get is code in Chinese. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

I have assembled mine and got it ready to install on the Phantom...unfortunately the screws included are too long and I'll either need washers or shorter machine screws. Still working on finding those.

As far as the install to work from the DJI transmitter...the thread on RCGroups has some info...albeit VERY Scattered with everyone updating everyone else when their shipments will arrive! LOL some do it every time they get an update!!

The RAR file is a ZIP file of sorts an archive file that you'll need a special unzip software to open. Also it's PC only and ONLY works on XP or Windows 7! UGH, I bought a PC just to use for the Phantom because it has no MAC software and now I can't even use this new PC with the Gimbal software because of it's incompatibility with Windows 8! Cluster-Munch!!!

Happy to help each other figure this out as we go...hit me up with any questions or learnings you have. Happy to share and do the same.

Hey, guys.

I, too, am a relative newbie to the world of quadcopters, but I'm completely hooked. I have the Tarot gimbal installed in standalone mode right now and I'll be hooking up the tilt function this weekend when I have some free time.

This is the information that I gleaned from the various threads and forums about using the tilt function with the stock DJI transmitter:

You will need to get 3 wired Connections. You can use Standard servo cables, or you can crimp your own ones.

C will need to go to F1 bottom (signal) (you can skip this cable if you just want Rate Mode)
T will need to go to F2 bottom (signal)
(-) will Need to go to a – (use the one in the Center row so you can use the other one to power your GoPro straight from the T-2D gimbal board)

Now you will also need to change some Settings in the Naza control Software. These Settings might need to be slightly different on your Setup, depending on how you set the Parameters in the ZYX-BMGC-EN V1.0.exe Software, which you will need to Change Parameters on the gimbal board.

I set the gimbal for a max of 90 degrees movement. So it will never turn up to the Rotors or backwards.

My Naza Settings are:

Servo Travel Limit
Pitch F2 Max 1000, Center 0, Min -1000
Roll F1, Max 50, Center 50, Min 0

Automatic Control Gain
Pitch F2, 0.00
Roll F1, 0.00

Manual Control Speed
Pitch X1, 10

When everything is setup like this, the gimbal should behave like in the Video bellow.

http://vimeo.com/70276887

NOTE: I didn't write these instructions, but I'm indebted to whoever did (provided they work, of course!)

Attachments

• tarot-T-2D-pitch-settings1.jpg
    tarot-T-2D-pitch-settings1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2,287
Still working to figure out how to get into the settings of the gimbal with windows 8 so I can tilt and eliminate the props.

I also just shot two short clips with the "Medium" setting on the GoPro Black. We'll see how that goes...will report when uploaded.

Here are a few of the gimbal doing it's work during the install process...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK0-JzvcofA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwUW5gZPzA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQ5yqH4iUk[/youtube]

The new setup is a far cry from this old setup... :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgX1xGeKMa8[/youtube]

Anyone care to have a idiots walk through on putting this on a phantom? I see all these wires and dont know where to start. The thread on RCgroups is stupid long to go through.

rick... my understanding is that the Tarot software/firmware upgrade doesn't work with Win8, but don't quote me... I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work with XP and macosx 8.

lawncare... try working your way backward from the latest posts on the Tarot rcgroup thread. You should be able to find what you need without too much frustration.

rick, I'm using a MacBook Pro with OS 10.8 and VMware Fusion/Windows XP2.

It turns out that the Tarot software won't run properly using VMware emulation... you have to use Boot Camp. But, Boot Camp/OS 10.8 won't run Windows XP (which I had previously used on an older MacBook). This means I either need to buy Windows 7 or a cheap Windows laptop, neither of which appeals to me.

As a result of these conflicts, I'm simply going to hook up the tilt function and see what happens. At least one person says they didn't need to use the NAZA or Tarot software to get tilt to function. Worth a try....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376594257.879167.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376594257.879167.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 686
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376594267.741417.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376594267.741417.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 682
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376594276.524942.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376594276.524942.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 665
I did get mine to work with Windows 8. You need to install the older Prolific driver is all. Prolific is horrible.

I have mine up and working pretty well with the exception of manual roll input, I wanted to mix a little roll in with aileron input but cant seem to figure that part out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31