Taking videos

Reaction score
How does this sound, and is it acceptable? I love flying my phantom, if i did this in a field and recorded the video and gave it my client, would i be in trouble?

Considering i do the following -

I dont charge for the video

I have the field owners permission

I stay away from people and animals by a minimum of 50m

I dont fly near other buildings which i dont have the owners permission

Would i be in trouble and be breaking the law? Would i be open to prosecution?

Just wondering as this would be a great selling point on my business as long as i stuck to the above rules?

I would have thought that as long as i have the owners permission and keep a safe distance, no one can stop me? And i dont charge.

How does this sound, and is it acceptable? I love flying my phantom, if i did this in a field and recorded the video and gave it my client, would i be in trouble?

Considering i do the following -

I dont charge for the video

I have the field owners permission

I stay away from people and animals by a minimum of 50m

I dont fly near other buildings which i dont have the owners permission

Would i be in trouble and be breaking the law? Would i be open to prosecution?

Just wondering as this would be a great selling point on my business as long as i stuck to the above rules?

I would have thought that as long as i have the owners permission and keep a safe distance, no one can stop me? And i dont charge.

Not Quite sure about your question, but think on this senario... I'm out filming in a public place I abide by the common sense rules of flying, I take video of you walking your dog, and you come over to me to watch what I'm doing, and I say "here mate would you like a copy of this video", answer "Yes", I give it to you free no money changes hands, what's the problem here "NONE". If I film you through your bedroom window, or sunbathing on your porch, then a different matter. If no money/goods change hands then it's not commercial, so no problem..! (my opinion)

In the US it's stated this way:

The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Waylander
If you have a "client", then you are likely going to be categorized as commercial.

If you are talking about "a great selling point on my business", then you are likely going to be categorized as commercial.

If you are "just out flying" for yourself and you happen to take a picture or video of a random person who then requests a copy which you provide for free, then you likely would not be categorized as commercial. But if you are doing this as a service for someone (even if you are not being "paid"), then you are commercial.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic