Taking the top of the shell off?

Reaction score
Ok. So I just watched this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What If I just wanted to pop the top lid off? I'm guessing that I could skip the whole remove the camera and remove the legs part, correct?

Then I would just remove all of the T8 and T6 screws in the arms (not the 4 motor mount ones), slice the arm band stickers and the lid would be ready to pop off?

Is it really that simple?

yjander has the gears turning in my head about a 5.8ghz antenna mod.

Reactions: yjander
Yes, that's it. However, you will notice that in almost all videos on the topic, the actual separation of the top and bottom shell parts they cut off the video then cut back in. That's because getting them to unlock from each other is a real BEAR. I've done this two times. Actual crash damage and stress cracks around the bottom of the motors. Each time I have replaced the shell. I made sure that the last shell had epoxy put into areas of weakness, especially toward the end of the arms. Good luck

Matts, if you are gonna take the top,shell off, it would be great if you film it all of it and help anyone else who wants to do it. Like vega said many vids cut the separation out.

It is a bear. Use a thin plastic utensil to coax the snap areas out/in. Take your time and keep working around the edges. If having trouble in one area, work on another area.

Ok. So I just watched this video:

What If I just wanted to pop the top lid off? I'm guessing that I could skip the whole remove the camera and remove the legs part, correct?

Then I would just remove all of the T8 and T6 screws in the arms (not the 4 motor mount ones), slice the arm band stickers and the lid would be ready to pop off?

Is it really that simple?

yjander has the gears turning in my head about a 5.8ghz antenna mod.
Make it happen matts! I am looking forward to your progress. Might join you soon if I get the courage to take the lid off!

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Matts175
Its actually really easy if you do what i do. Will take you seconds

• First, once you have removed all screws, wedge thin screwdriver shafts or similar between the arm shells to put a little outward pressure on the shells.
  • Next just squeeze the bottom shell arms below the tabs with your thumbs they will each pop out.
  • Next, move all screwdrivers closer in to reapply gentle outward pressure, now push the bottom shell in below the each center tab, they will pop out too.
  • Remember to now disconnect the gps clip before pulling it off.

Takes me about 60 seconds each time now. The first time took me forever by trying to wedge the tabs apart with credit cards and the like, each time you would unpop one only for another to pop back in lol

Reactions: Vega and Matts175
It is a bear. Use a thin plastic utensil to coax the snap areas out/in. Take your time and keep working around the edges. If having trouble in one area, work on another area.

Thank you. I have a cell phone tool kit, so that would help. Thin plastic pry bar included. Sounds like when I had to take my wife's tablet apart. Just slowly pried around and around.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Its actually really easy if you do what i do. Will take you seconds

• First, once you have removed all screws, wedge thin screwdriver shafts or similar between the arm shells to put a little outward pressure on the shells.
  • Next just squeeze the bottom shell arms below the tabs with your thumbs they will each pop out.
  • Next, move all screwdrivers closer in to reapply gentle outward pressure, now push the bottom shell in below the each center tab, they will pop out too.
  • Remember to now disconnect the gps clip before pulling it off.

Takes me about 60 seconds each time now. The first time took me forever by trying to wedge the tabs apart with credit cards and the like, each time you would unpop one only for another to pop back in lol

Great! Thanks for the advice.

Great! Thanks for the advice.
Had to open it again today, made a video.

Had to open it again today, made a video.

Thanks for the video. That was too simple. My method was more brutal and had some inappropriate language mixed in to my efforts.

I like your way better. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dan84uk
Thanks for the video. That was too simple. My method was more brutal and had some inappropriate language mixed in to my efforts.

I like your way better. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Sounds like my first ever attempt lol.

Looks the same as using credit cards. Might have been easy this time because it had already been broken in. Strong fingers may also be a factor.
The clip above the battery is the hardest part.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looks the same as using credit cards. Might have been easy this time because it had already been broken in. Strong fingers may also be a factor.
The clip above the battery is the hardest part.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes that is the toughest clip, its like anything once you do it a few times you get the knack. As for strong fingers, i admit i have been calisthenics for 18 months lol, but im only little too at 148lbs / 66kg.

I was about to ask the same question.

So, you can access the insides, without removing the landing struts & camera?

I want to remove (and maybe replace) the two 2.4ghz patch antennas near the battery bay.

Can this be done just with the lid off and 2 motors unbolted ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers