Taking the next step?

Reaction score
Morning All,

I have been flying a Phantom 3SE for about 12 months and loving every minute of it. I get out as much as I can weather and work and family permitting even if its just for a quick flight.

I was flying with my best mate on Sunday and he flies a Mavic Pro and he mentioned that you are almost constantly looking at the aircraft and after that I noticed he flies using the video feed rather than visually eye to aircraft.

How did you progress to that type of flying?

Morning All,

I have been flying a Phantom 3SE for about 12 months and loving every minute of it. I get out as much as I can weather and work and family permitting even if its just for a quick flight.

I was flying with my best mate on Sunday and he flies a Mavic Pro and he mentioned that you are almost constantly looking at the aircraft and after that I noticed he flies using the video feed rather than visually eye to aircraft.

How did you progress to that type of flying?
He has faith the drone gods will protect his craft and nothing will happen to it.

Reactions: PhantomPilotUK
It takes time to build confidence and learn how the drone handles. Flying above tree top gives you a safe area to learn. When you bring it down lower and close to you, then you get a better idea of depth perception. Be very careful and take it slow. Always be able to look up and see your drone. I have even developed obstacle courses. I think it is another way to enjoy your drone as it is a game and I have fun while developing skills. Overall I think it makes a person a better drone operator. It is good to take time and practice all situations of flying a drone. That also means practicing emergency situations. Have fun.
Next I’m going to try it blind folded. Just kidding.

The FPV video feed and flying by watching the drone LOS are both tools to perfect to maneuver the craft and get the shots you want. They're both very useful, but depending on just the video is risky as the limited field of view may not show an obstruction dead ahead, particularly if you have your camera pointed downwards, or if it ducks behind a hill or trees to loose line-of-sight control. Visual control always gives you the overall view of your environment. FPV and LOS should be used together.

Reactions: Tenisyn
Did a 10 minute and 13 minute flight this morning mainly using video feed but from time to time manually checking where the aircraft was and found it OK TBH.

Next step is to push the distance out a bit further and keep using lots of video feed.

Baby steps but keeping within my comfort zone so I dont mess it up :'l

Did a 10 minute and 13 minute flight this morning mainly using video feed but from time to time manually checking where the aircraft was and found it OK TBH.

Next step is to push the distance out a bit further and keep using lots of video feed.

Baby steps but keeping within my comfort zone so I dont mess it up :'l
Remember to pray to the drone gods and keep VLOS. You don't want to fall prey.

Reactions: PhantomPilotUK
Remember to pray to the drone gods and keep VLOS. You don't want to fall prey.
Actually, the really important factor is LOS. You'll still be able to see and hear planes and helicopters, and you'll have your FPV, but unobstructed LOS for maintaining control signal is the key to maintaining FPV and pilot control, rather than having to rely upon some autonomous mode like RTH from obstructed LOS. Flying from an elevated point with a panoramic view is ideal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20