Taking off from truck bed

Reaction score
Is it safe to take off from the bed of a truck or will that mess with the signals and compass?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's not a good idea to take off near any large magnetic metal objects.

From the Phantom manual:

Untitled.png

Reactions: Bull94
Same thing with the new aluminum f150?
If the truck is 100% aluminum (which I highly doubt), then it should be fine.

Is it safe to take off from the bed of a truck or will that mess with the signals and compass?

This will give you compass error that will cause the phantom to fly erratically.

Same thing with the new aluminum f150?

It still has a steel frame.;)

Great, lol my plan was to be able to use a bed cover to take off and land from which would help when there's nowhere flat to take off and land from. I was thinking it would especially be great for the inspire since I read it needs to be on a flat surface before take off to calibrate?

With an iOS device, you can use the TeslaMeter on this free app to check for magnetic interference: Multi Measures 2 - The all-in-1 measuring toolkit on the App Store
If you must take off from an area giving you a compass error and can't change your take off point, then you can try raising you take off point using a tall plastic bin. A last resort could be a risky standing hand release take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With an iOS device, you can use the TeslaMeter on this free app to check for magnetic interference: Multi Measures 2 - The all-in-1 measuring toolkit on the App Store
If you must take off from an area giving you a compass error and can't change your take off point, then you can try raising you take off point using a tall plastic bin. A last resort could be a risky standing hand release take off.

Awesome thank you for sharing that.Are there any specific ranges of interference I should be on the lookout for?

Should be only a few feet ....My take off points are often from a concrete parking structure with highly concentrated sections rebar in it. Moving my take off point just a few feet will eliminate the compass error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues