Taking My P3S to Australia and New Zealand

Reaction score
I'm planning to take my P3S on a trip from the US to Australia and New Zealand (leaving via LAX).

I've checked the rules and regs for both countries as well as Qantas and see no problems there, but would like to hear the experiences of others who have taken their Phantoms to either or both countries from the US, and if there are any specifics about carry-on with Qantas I should know about.

I've searched these forums and have only found recommendations for checking CASA, packing batteries, etc. I'm looking for actual experience coming and going US to AUS and AUS to NZ, then back to US.

I'm following the recommendations of others to discharge and safety wrap batteries to take in my carry-on, and put the props in my checked baggage, and emailed Qantas for verification they have no issues with the drone itself in carry-on.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

We will be in Sydney visiting friends most of the time, and planning to spend a night in the Blue Mountains (probably Katoomba), then in Queenstown, NZ for a few days. We'll also be in Chrischurch and several other NZ towns, but will not have time to fly anywhere other than Sydney and Queenstown.

We will be in Sydney visiting friends most of the time, and planning to spend a night in the Blue Mountains (probably Katoomba), then in Queenstown, NZ for a few days. We'll also be in Chrischurch and several other NZ towns, but will not have time to fly anywhere other than Sydney and Queenstown.

You'll just love Australia we've got rules and regulations for anything you could think of .First thing you'll notice is our toilets flush differently ..all in the roles see .

Hi Digital Knight, I'm planning to go to NZ in a couple months myself and would like to bring my P3P. From what I've read and seen, seems like it's okay to fly in NZ, but I too am curious about any issues getting through customs when you land in NZ from another country. Did you have any issues while traveling in NZ with your Phantom? Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Nathan

I can't seem to slot in a link on this iPad but if you search Beginning of the end in New Zealand you will see that drone fling in NZ has certain restrictions .Australia is a bit better but still has more "laws " than the US .I have been to NZ s South Island many times and it is a beautiful place .They get lots of tourists and therefor operate lots of scenic and other helicopter and light aircraft flights often at lower altitudes.I think this maybe one of the reasons for these restrictive laws.
I hope this helps

I can't seem to slot in a link on this iPad but if you search Beginning of the end in New Zealand you will see that drone fling in NZ has certain restrictions .Australia is a bit better but still has more "laws " than the US .I have been to NZ s South Island many times and it is a beautiful place .They get lots of tourists and therefor operate lots of scenic and other helicopter and light aircraft flights often at lower altitudes.I think this maybe one of the reasons for these restrictive laws.
I hope this helps
Thanks for the info, Springs. I was a vaguely aware of the "law" of needing permission of whoever you fly over thus making flying legally extremely difficult, but knew that began back in 2015 (I know just a year ago, but seems like laws and regulations are updating constantly), so wasn't sure what the latest on getting into New Zealand with a Phantom looks like. I found and read through most of the thread to which you alluded, and it appears the latest comment was made in September of 2015. Thanks again!

Hi Digital Knight, I'm planning to go to NZ in a couple months myself and would like to bring my P3P. From what I've read and seen, seems like it's okay to fly in NZ, but I too am curious about any issues getting through customs when you land in NZ from another country. Did you have any issues while traveling in NZ with your Phantom? Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Nathan

Nathan,

I had no problems at all taking my P3S all the way from Denver to Sydney and Queenstown via Phoenix and LA. I had a LowePro semi-rigid hardcase that fit in the overhead bins nicely. I had it swabbed once in Phoenix (probably random), and that was it.

I also checked each airline's LiPo battery policy and all were the same (American and Qantas in my case). I also informed the screeners at each airport that I had a quadrotor drone in the case and LiPos in my carry-on. Most said they were seeing more and more of them, and seemed to appreciate the head's up.

As is the most common suggestion, discharge your batteries, tape off the terminal contacts and put them in separate plastic bags (at a minimum--use fire retardant bags if possible), and take in your carry on bag.

Queenstown was amazing, and I was able to fly from the southwest tip of Queenstown Gardens Park that was perfect for shots of Lake Wakatipu and the surrounding mountains. No one bothered me there at all, though I make sure I don't fly anywhere it might disturb others trying to relax and enjoy a given place.

Good luck, I hope you have a great time and get some awesome footage.

DK
Rocky Mountain Phantom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nathan,

I had no problems at all taking my P3S all the way from Denver to Sydney and Queenstown via Phoenix and LA. I had a LowePro semi-rigid hardcase that fit in the overhead bins nicely. I had it swabbed once in Phoenix (probably random), and that was it.

I also checked each airline's LiPo battery policy and all were the same (American and Qantas in my case). I also informed the screeners at each airport that I had a quadrotor drone in the case and LiPos in my carry-on. Most said they were seeing more and more of them, and seemed to appreciate the head's up.

As is the most common suggestion, discharge your batteries, tape off the terminal contacts and put them in separate plastic bags (at a minimum--use fire retardant bags if possible), and take in your carry on bag.

Queenstown was amazing, and I was able to fly from the southwest tip of Queenstown Gardens Park that was perfect for shots of Lake Wakatipu and the surrounding mountains. No one bothered me there at all, though I make sure I don't fly anywhere it might disturb others trying to relax and enjoy a given place.

Good luck, I hope you have a great time and get some awesome footage.

DK
Rocky Mountain Phantom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for all your insight, DK.

When I have traveled in the past with my quad, I typically check it in a hard case within a hard case and carry on my batteries in fire retardant bags and have had no troubles with airlines or any US customs or TSA folks. I had one instance where I couldn't find any precedent or regulations traveling to Togo, and I brought it anyway. It was the Togolese man at customs upon leaving the airport who stopped me. 5 hours of interrogation later, they confiscated my quad (saying they would give it back when I left the country but never did). Ever since that experience, I have been a bit hesitant to travel at all with one. But at the same time, I don't want to miss an opportunity to get some beautiful shots. So I appreciate you sharing your personal experience. Would love to see any of the shots you got if you care to share. And yes, I agree to do my best not to fly wherever might disturb people.

Take care.
Nathan

I had a look on the CAAnz website to see if they had a simple breakdown of the rules and reg's like CASA and I believe the FAA have released but could not find anything more breif and to the point than this page.
https://www.caa.govt.nz/rpas/

I have seen some videos on youtube about various NZ city councils creating rules and erecting signs prohibiting the use of remote controled aircraft,sometimes just drones,in and around parks and other open spaces that has people more than a little peeved.
They seem to be well signposted though so just keep an eye out for signs.

You know to expect some pretty strict rules when you see regulations for everything in the air including kites and party balloons.

Bruce from X-Jet & RC Model Reviews on youtube has some interesting and sometimes entertaining views on the rules and regulations over there.Airing his views actually got him banned from flying for a while.
A couple of his latest vids.

Nathan,

That's terrible, I can see why you would be extra careful going anywhere. From what I've gleaned from these forums I would be reluctant to take my quad to many smaller countries, especially if they are heavily dependent on tourism, or have a more authoritarian government.

Now that I rarely travel for my employer, I hope to take time to edit my shots from the AUS/NZ trip into something more presentable. Unfortunately, it was overcast in NZ the days I had the opportunity and time to fly, so my footage needs work, and I have very little experience yet at editing video.

I didn't encounter any of what PTCX mentioned with regard to signage or municipal rules, but I also got the impression that Queenstown was more laid back than the north island cities, and didn't have time to fly in Christchurch. I hope you find lots of awesome places to fly while you're there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj