Taking drone to South Africa

Reaction score
Hi,

I will go to South Africa soon and I am planning of taking the P3S, however I have read that apparently there they do not like much drones.

Anybody that has any experience flying drones there can advise me?

Thanks in advance

hi

i live here in south africa....no problem as far as i know... basic rules here is:

UNDER THE NEW REGULATIONS HOBBY DRONE PILOTS:
  • Do not need an RPL (Remote Pilots Licence).
  • Do not need to register their RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) aircraft.
  • Do not need an aviation medical.
  • Can fly RPAS up to 7kg weight.
  • Can fly at night (previous not allowed for any RC aircraft).
  • Can fly up to the height of the highest object in 300m of the drone (up to a max of 400 feet).
  • Can fly up to 500m away from the pilot, while maintaining direct line of sight (RVLOS).
  • Need to keep more than 50m from people.
  • Need to keep more than 50m from roads.
  • Need to keep more than 50m from buildings.
  • Need to keep more than 10km from airports.
  • May not fly in No Fly Zones.

hi

i live here in south africa....no problem as far as i know... basic rules here is:

UNDER THE NEW REGULATIONS HOBBY DRONE PILOTS:
  • Do not need an RPL (Remote Pilots Licence).
  • Do not need to register their RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) aircraft.
  • Do not need an aviation medical.
  • Can fly RPAS up to 7kg weight.
  • Can fly at night (previous not allowed for any RC aircraft).
  • Can fly up to the height of the highest object in 300m of the drone (up to a max of 400 feet).
  • Can fly up to 500m away from the pilot, while maintaining direct line of sight (RVLOS).
  • Need to keep more than 50m from people.
  • Need to keep more than 50m from roads.
  • Need to keep more than 50m from buildings.
  • Need to keep more than 10km from airports.
  • May not fly in No Fly Zones.
Wow!!, nice.

Do you know if there is any official website where I can find that information?, It would be good to print and take with me just in case I need it.

Thank you ;)

Hi guys, planning visiting SA end of this year too, just a follow up question - that web site looks like it is referring to info from 2015, and also states it is not providing legal view - is there possibly an 'official' web site that has definite current 'legal' info? Thanks

Edit: found this site which seems current and contradicts some of the other web sites info - http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.aspx

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Very very tempted to book a flight to Cape Town end of October/November. Looks awesome I appreciate it will be spring time there, but will the weather prevent me from flying much?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.