Taking DNG pictures - speed - SD cards?

Reaction score
Being increasingly frustrated that it takes 8 seconds to take a picture in DNG format (28 mb file) on my standard class 10 32 gb SD card, I got myself a Samsung Pro microSDHC UHS-I 32gb memory card. It write at a speed of 80 MB/s, so I was thinking now life is good: 80/28= 2.8 pictures pr. second!

Wrong! Still approx. 8 seconds pr. picture. It seems the FC200 controller can't write faster than 3.5 MB/s. Can this really be true? Does anybody have similar or different experienceses?

Geoelectro said:
Mine takes about three to four seconds.
SanDisk (Pixtor) 32GB HC I

Geo
Are you sure you're in RAW (DNG) mode? I've never seen anywhere near that fast. My RAW (DNG) photos take 7-8 seconds each. I have the same microSD card - SanDisk Ultra 32GB HC1. Note: "Pixtor" is the same card as "Ultra", AFAIK the name "Pixtor" is just an exclusive marketing deal with Best Buy.

Keep in mind that JPEG normally takes about 3 seconds to process on this camera.
When you shoot in RAW (DNG) it's STILL processing and saving the JPEG picture IN ADDITION to saving the DNG file.
You get both files.

DKDarkness said:
Being increasingly frustrated that it takes 8 seconds to take a picture in DNG format (28 mb file) on my standard class 10 32 gb SD card, I got myself a Samsung Pro microSDHC UHS-I 32gb memory card. It write at a speed of 80 MB/s, so I was thinking now life is good: 80/28= 2.8 pictures pr. second!

Wrong! Still approx. 8 seconds pr. picture. It seems the FC200 controller can't write faster than 3.5 MB/s. Can this really be true? Does anybody have similar or different experienceses?
It's true. Just using a UHS-1 storage card won't magically make your camera any faster. Even my Canon 5D Mark III can't write to SD cards at those speeds! Many cameras simply don't have the circuitry & logic to support the newer, faster UHS-1 bus protocol.

My FC200 also takes about 7-8 sec per RAW (DNG) photo. I'm not convinced this is simply a "write speed" issue, either. It's also processing time and duplication of effort. When you choose the RAW setting, this camera is creating BOTH the full-size JPEG (3 seconds) and the DNG file (additional 4-5 seconds). Not sure that's really necessary.

DJI could speed up the process by changing so that option "RAW" would save only DNG image without small embedded JPG preview.When I am shooting RAW, I have no use for JPGs, they are just waste of time and space.

jimre said:
Geoelectro said:
Mine takes about three to four seconds.
SanDisk (Pixtor) 32GB HC I

Geo
Are you sure you're in RAW (DNG) mode? I've never seen anywhere near that fast. My RAW (DNG) photos take 7-8 seconds each. I have the same microSD card - SanDisk Ultra 32GB HC1. Note: "Pixtor" is the same card as "Ultra", AFAIK the name "Pixtor" is just an exclusive marketing deal with Best Buy.

OK. Got the files back and no, I wasn't taking RAW. I had set it the day before but it reset to JPG. Sorry. Shot some RAW this morning and yes, it takes way longer.

Geo

AnselA said:
DJI could speed up the process by changing so that option "RAW" would save only DNG image without small embedded JPG preview.When I am shooting RAW, I have no use for JPGs, they are just waste of time and space.
I don't think they're even saving a "small embedded preview" in the DNG file (EXIFTOOL reports no preview). It's worse than that - they're saving the full-size JPEG in a separate file in addition to the DNG file.

jimre said:
AnselA said:
I don't think they're even saving a "small embedded preview" in the DNG file (EXIFTOOL reports no preview). It's worse than that - they're saving the full-size JPEG in a separate file in addition to the DNG file.

OK, haven't checked for the embedded preview. I am using picasa for quick preview and it will display FC200 DNGs well enough.

Why not having simple processing:

- select JPG and you get JPG
- select RAW and you get DNG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic