Taking delivery today!

Reaction score
So my P3 Pro is on a UPS truck to be delivered today. My plan is to play with the simulator some this afternoon. I am leaving on a business trip tomorrow morning so I will have time to read the entire manuals over the weekend. I am planning my first flight for next week if the weather cooperates. I have reviewed most if not all of the videos on the DJI website. Are there any additional resources that I should take a look at prior to taking my first flight?

Thanks!

So my P3 Pro is on a UPS truck to be delivered today. My plan is to play with the simulator some this afternoon. I am leaving on a business trip tomorrow morning so I will have time to read the entire manuals over the weekend. I am planning my first flight for next week if the weather cooperates. I have reviewed most if not all of the videos on the DJI website. Are there any additional resources that I should take a look at prior to taking my first flight?

Thanks!
I well recall the excitement you have anticipating your first flight.

Enjoy your new bird and fly safe.

It's your baby bird, take care of it, you will have great fun.

Remember: Most accidents happen with tree branches. Fly at good heights., above the tree levels.

One thing I am a little confused about and seems to be controversial is the firmware? I understand what firmware is but whats all the fuss about? Is it mostly stemming from NFZ?

One thing I am a little confused about and seems to be controversial is the firmware? I understand what firmware is but whats all the fuss about? Is it mostly stemming from NFZ?
Let me summarize for you:

Two things have predominantly happened in the recent past, solution to battery problem and introduction of NFZs. Battery problem has been addressed in P3 FW 1.6. NFZs have surfaced through DJI Go App SW version 2.50 onwards through connection of DJI go with external NFZs servers. No one knows when exactly go app and other FW s were made capable of using NFZs data.

Many are trying to downgrade versions to avoid NFZs mainly because NFZ data on DJI's server seems to be not tallying with Real situation and some are unable to fly or are confused as how to get permission to fly.

Earlier I was also totally blocked for flying in my area unless I drive another 50 miles but lateron I realized that DJI corrected data on their servers and I was able to fly. Situation varies from place to place. Not sure how many are still truly affected.

Reactions: Volitant_Soul
Your P3 will fly fine right out of the box. Check your FW version. If it's 1.4 or lower, I'd fly it for a bit before considering upgrading.

The battery problem cropped up with 1.5 FW. It wasn't a problem before that. My black friday P3P came with 1.1.9+ (lucky). I have left it alone for now. 50+ flights without issue.

SD

How exactly do I check the firmware? And I want to do this for the radio and aircraft right?

Congrats on your new phantom. Take some deep breaths before you're maiden. You will experience sweaty palms and a high heart rate no matter the amount of preparation. Google search dji phantom 3 preflight checklist and use it every time before you fly. It seems to me you've done your homework, you'll be fine.

I hear ya as to the anticipation and "the nerves" before that maiden flight. I went to a wide open space and flew in "beginners mode" using a couple of batteries. I was simply blown away with the ease of handling it (P3A). Ease of handling but not over confident for certain. Best of luck and good on you for carrying out due process prior to your first flight.

www.PhantomHelp.com is a fantastic resource for most of everything you need to know - I reference that site many times and have a shortcut on my desktop for it. Here is another link for further info Know Before You Fly. This site alone has tons of info and plenty of help from experienced flyers and on the techie side of things.

Edit: Spend lots of time on the flight simulator on the DJI Go App!

Last edited:
Here's my recommendations:

1. Read and absorb all you have time for on this forum and Youtube.
2. Download the DJI Go app early. Watch the videos and read the manual.
3. I have not updated the firmware and have been flying it right out of the box with 1.1.9+. Works great as is.
4. Charge the battery fully, then use the included simulator to familiarize yourself with the functions. It operates like the P3 does in flight. Practice with all the flight modes. Set your Failsafe RTH. Practice using the RTH function, and how to cancel it when necessary. Use a whole battery down to 50% on the simulator if you have the patience.
5. When the simulator becomes boring, you're ready for the maiden. Charge battery to 100%.
6. Have a game plan. Consider a short planned flight with easy objectives. (take off, gain altitude, head out, turn back, head home, land)
7. Cloudy, calm day would be best. Start in a large open area, free from obstructions. SET your Failsafe RTH to a minimum height higher than the surroundings. (I use 60 M ~ 200 feet as a safe minimum altitude. No trees higher than that around here.)
8. Calibrate your compass before the first take off in a ferrous free environment.
9. Set your Failsafe RTH (while connected to P3) and ENSURE you have a GOOD GPS Home Lock (Safe to Fly GPS) before attempting to take off.
10. I'd use beginner mode if you have no experience. This will keep her close at first. P-GPS mode always (at first).
11. Use the Auto Takeoff. Be deliberate and plan your moves. Gain some altitude. Use small control movements until you are familiar with how she handles.
12. Remember to just let go of the sticks if in trouble. P3 will stop and hover in place. Calm yourself and make small control movements to get her out of that trouble.
13. Practice landing. One of the hardest, and most nerve wracking parts of the flight. It will auto land, but you need to know how to set it down when necessary.
14. Only using the battery down to 50% for the first few flights is recommended. Your nerves will be shot way before that in the beginning.
15. Recharge and repeat. Best practice is actually flying. Small improvements in distance and altitude each flight. Walk before you run. Practice the RTH function on subsequent flights. Practice how to cancel it.

Maybe your maiden (after compass calibration and GPS Home Lock) consists of:
Auto Take off to 4 ft.
Gain altitude to 20-30 feet
Fly straight ahead (slowly) to edge of beginner mode (100 feet)
Turn around and fly back to you, again slowly.
Land and stop motors (left stick down for 3 seconds)
Repeat. Should be able to get a good 10-12 minutes of flying before battery is 50%

That's my list for success, from 30 years of RC experience, 20 years of helicopter flying, 2 months of P3 flying, and hundreds of hours of reading and watching. Hope it's a help to you and yours. Others will add to this that have much more knowledge than me.

SD

Last edited:
Solar Deity - your post was certainly worth my time to copy and paste into a document for my binder I have of tips from here and other sites for flying safely. Thanks for posting that info and continued safe flying.

ok so my P3 Pro was delivered and is running firmware:
App 2.5.1
Remote Controller 1.4.30
Aircraft 1.4.10

av8er79, that's not the latest firmware, but it's a stable build. Just don't install 1.5. If you want to upgrade, then install 1.6.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik