Takeoff with mirror

Reaction score
I read in a how to/tips area to put a mirror on a piece of wood to serve as a landing pad to be able to see the lights easier and to have a level surface.

I am wondering if this would make the Vision Positioning System screw up. In the manual it says to avoid highly reflective surfaces. This obviously directly disputes the idea to use a mirror.

I was wondering if anyone uses the mirror and if it will screw anything up?

Thanks!

I read in a how to/tips area to put a mirror on a piece of wood to serve as a landing pad to be able to see the lights easier and to have a level surface.

I am wondering if this would make the Vision Positioning System screw up. In the manual it says to avoid highly reflective surfaces. This obviously directly disputes the idea to use a mirror.

Thanks!
Yes it will screw up VPS. Simple answer is to just disable VPS if you want to land on a mirror.

Where did you see this tip?

Is it for landing at night?

I thought it worked with everything else outdoors and in
It does.

It's just less useful outdoors for most purposes because you've got the barometer and GPS for altitude and location sensors to rely upon and less need for the VPS... though it does help it land autonomously when using RTH

What is your reasoning for needing to see the lights in the mirror, I'm kinda lost on that one.

It was more useful with the P2 and Visions because you could watch the lights to see when it got 6 satellites and set home point.
Got ya, yeah not as useful on the P3 anymore with everything on screen now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It was more useful with the P2 and Visions because you could watch the lights to see when it got 6 satellites and set home point.
HA, thanks for the explanation. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why one would need to land on a mirror

Now I want To land on a mirror, I bet the pictures you get if your camera is pointing down would be awesome. Night or day.

Mirror is a bad idea. Mostly for the compass but also because you'll get harsh sun reflections and you'll likely break it over time. If you want something reflective, a sheet of plexiglass would be a lot better.

Thanks!

While I appreciate the want to land on a level surface.. I have to ask why haul around a big mirror to land on? You can't possible be in any area so bad you can't find at least a semi level surface to take off from.

But as others said - yes disable VPS and you'll be fine.

I've taken off from some cool spots. I forgot which big boulder it was but I took off/landed on it when I went to the northern california coast a few months ago. Thankfully it wasn't too windy that day :)

FB_IMG_1440723698218_zpsgjn5t1at.jpg

Finally a reason to take that mirror off the ceiling.

Reactions: BVC
While I appreciate the want to land on a level surface.. I have to ask why haul around a big mirror to land on?

Too be honest, I am brand new to this and still havnt flown mine yet - waiting on nice weather. I saw the previous message about the mirror helping the P2 and the Visions, seems to make sense .

In regards to carrying it around, I live on a golf course so I thought it may be helpful and easy to bring out back.

As always, thank you everyone for your help!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20