Take off question

KMW

Reaction score
Is it best to take off quicky? I've been taking of slow and gently, but tonight while taking of it tipped over just before leaving the ground. Then I took off a little quicker and noticed it was able to jump up and stabilize itself.

Of course, this happened right after taking the prop guards off! Glad I had extra props!

Yes .. Get it off quickly and out of any ground effect.
Kick it up to 6ft or so and let it hover so you can check everything before you send it away.

KMW said:
Is it best to take off quicky? I've been taking of slow and gently, but tonight while taking of it tipped over just before leaving the ground. Then I took off a little quicker and noticed it was able to jump up and stabilize itself.

Of course, this happened right after taking the prop guards off! Glad I had extra props!

Yes quickly. Remember the quad sits on a cushion of air, and until it has that it is not necessarily stable. Full power to 2 or 3 metres every time.

Full throttle until 10-15 ft then release and 'test' stability.

tcope said:
Also, launch and land on soft ground if possible.

Only if it's flat though !.

I did attempt a landing in a ploughed field once. Not to be repeated. :eek:

If you do land on uneven ground, just bring it down nice and easy, and if you do it right, you can use the right stick to keep it from tipping over. However, I recommend hand catching over risking a tipover, but sometimes it's fun to just do a normal landing.

kitari said:
If you do land on uneven ground, just bring it down nice and easy, and if you do it right, you can use the right stick to keep it from tipping over. However, I recommend hand catching over risking a tipover, but sometimes it's fun to just do a normal landing.

I hand catch every time now. I was surprised how many areas suddenly became flyable once you dont have to rely on there being a flat surface or on the grass being shorter than 12".

I made a dumb mistake recently on take off I didn't give it enough full thrust and being on the edge of a cliff I didn't have a lot of extra room around me. Within a second of initially starting to take off the wind shifted which put the quads rotating blades into my leg by a quick drift toward me. It happened in a split second no time to react. I'm glad I was wearing jeans but still got a bloody scratch anyway. Glad I wasn't wearing shorts :oops:
It just caused a tip over and I immediately cut the motors.

Funny how things evolve. I posted a similar question way back (early 2013)- because this rapid launch was the only way I could solve the tip over problem.

Back then, most Phantom owners were accomplished RC fliers.

I took a terrible hiding from folk telling me to learn to fly properly i.e. correct the tip over with instant stick commands.

And I still cannot launch gently :oops:

For the ones that have an uneven or rough place to land....how do you have the quad level for power up. If you bring a pad to takeoff, why not land on it. I try to have my quad as level at power up as possible. I don't carry a spirit level but try to get it close by eye.

Hughie said:
I hand catch every time now. I was surprised how many areas suddenly became flyable once you dont have to rely on there being a flat surface or on the grass being shorter than 12".
Interesting on how the quad needs that established cushion of air to be stable. Take off slow and flop. But come in for a very soft landing and it just floats to the ground.
You would think you could just build it up on take off, but as we know, that does not work.
I have seen videos of pilots throwing a mini quad in the air and it just levels out and flies. Anyone try that yet with their Phantom? That would solve the uneven ground problem on take off.

Anyone hand launch?

ccase39 said:
Anyone hand launch?

I have done it before with my son holding it. It wasn't necessary but he wanted to try it.

No issue to speak of.

I think part of it may have been the new heavier battery. It had a 4000 and a low volt alarm on it. On initial lift off with those it tips slightly forward, but once up it gets itself balanced out. Just have to get it popped up a few feet.

After I added a gimbal and SJ4000 she became nose heavy. First time out I tore up the front props. I learned to pull back on the right stick a little during take off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.