TAFS vs METAR

Reaction score
Somebody please explain difference between TAF and METAR.

I know METAR is current conditions and valid for 24 hours.

Is a TAF a forecast only and not current conditions ? Or does the first line include current conditions and then the following lines are the forecasted conditions?

Terminal Aerodrome FORECAST. Yes, it's a forecast and not current conditions. ;)

Somebody please explain difference between TAF and METAR.

I know METAR is current conditions and valid for 24 hours.

Is a TAF a forecast only and not current conditions ? Or does the first line include current conditions and then the following lines are the forecasted conditions?

TAF;s only apply to a very limited area around an airport (station). say 5 miles as a forecast for a period of time, present to 24 hours.

METAR is actual conditions at that time for a specific station and are updated hourly

Last edited:
TAF consists of the expected meteorological conditions significant to aviation at an airport for a specified time period. For the U.S., this is the area within five (5) statute miles (SM) of the center of an airport's runway complex

TAF consists of the expected meteorological conditions significant to aviation at an airport for a specified time period. For the U.S., this is the area within five (5) statute miles (SM) of the center of an airport's runway complex
I have heard 3 different distances. Remotepilot101 video says 6 SM, remotepilot 101 support said 4 SM and now you say 5 SM...which one is it lol.

I have heard 3 different distances. Remotepilot101 video says 6 SM, remotepilot 101 support said 4 SM and now you say 5 SM...which one is it lol.

What I cut and pasted was from an FAA website

Remember:
Terminal Area Forcast is a forcast and covers only the immediate area of the reporting station 5 miles. good for a 24 hour period
METAR Meteorological Terminal Air Report (METAR) is a hourly report of what is happening at that time and covers the actual reporting station.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj