Tablets good for Phantom 3

Reaction score
I want to purchase a new tablet. At the moment I'm using an iPhone 6+. I wanted to get something bigger with GPS but didn't want to spend the money on an iPad mini with cellular because they are minimum $400. Does anybody have experience with another tablet or recommendations? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nvidia K1 Shield gets my vote. No tracking using GPS though UNLESS you use the internal WiFi Hotspot and connect your phone to the tablet wirelessly. Then you can use the WiFi to download maps of the area you are flying if there is cellular signal.

The beauty of the Nvidia K1 Shield is that it is geared towards gamers and has a fast processor. Plus the best part. - It has built in HDMI output for video. This allows one to plug in First Person Video headsets for that truly immersive experience .

It leaves the path open for upgrading to this ability. Other tablets do not.

Reactions: tkepler
Just get the Shield K1. Since it has GPS, as long as you cache maps using your phone's WiFi hotspot or at home, everything else will work seamlessly, including Follow Me and dynamic homepoints.

Fastfjr,
When I use my iPad with no GPS the functions don't work but flying is fine. Do your functions work with your iPad mini? Also to the other gentlemen how much is a K1? I'll look it up

shield all the way

Thanks

I took everyone's advice and bought a Nvidia Shield K1. Sound is great, it's bright and it supposedly has plenty of power to future proof it for this purpose. I will say this: I came from a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact and the K1 is thick and heavy by comparison. I don't have the stats, but twice as thick and a third heavier I'd guess......and the big question I forgot to ask before buying.... While in landscape, the screen does turn black through my prescription, polarized sunglasses. Bummer. I never thought to ask.

If this might apply to you, check it out. I picked up an Ipad Mini 4 64 gb from VZW for $100 bucks off, plus another $150 bucks off since I had some renewals available plus they waived the $40 activation fee since I'm such a good looking guy (actually because I pay my bill ;-) I realize this won't work for everyone, but if your situation fits you'll end up paying around $299.

I took everyone's advice and bought a Nvidia Shield K1. Sound is great, it's bright and it supposedly has plenty of power to future proof it for this purpose. I will say this: I came from a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact and the K1 is thick and heavy by comparison. I don't have the stats, but twice as thick and a third heavier I'd guess......and the big question I forgot to ask before buying.... While in landscape, the screen does turn black through my prescription, polarized sunglasses. Bummer. I never thought to ask.

Excuse me for replying to my own thread but I realized I didn't do the K1 justice in my first reply. I need to add that aside from the increased weight, everything else is perfect for this application. The speakers face forward, ALL buttons and ports are out of the way of RC mounting and the HDMI out is awesome. I've kept my 5 or so favorite flights on the tablet, in the case and have them to show off whenever I want them without relying on casting it....

Also you said you have an iPhone so probably don't understand the difference or don't care but the K1 almost runs stock Android. (Cleaner, faster, more reliable, better battery, etc). As of today it is current (less a security patch) with the most recent Google software. Huge plus for me personally.

I Visited Best Buy ( Open Box Section on the Internet ) and at my local store and found an open box I Pad MIni 2 with WIFI plus 32 GB. for $222.99 plus tax. It is working Great on my Phantom 3 Prof. Has all the warranty.

Oops, hit send somehow. But the screen is 3 times bigger than my iPhone, which is great running the Go app. Good luck. The deals are out there.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fastfjr,
When I use my iPad with no GPS the functions don't work but flying is fine. Do your functions work with your iPad mini? Also to the other gentlemen how much is a K1? I'll look it up

Never had a problem with mine

My son has a LG G Pad 8.0 with cellular I'm going to try it tomorrow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31