Tablets do matter! - Screen shot comparison inside

BVC

Reaction score
So one thread lead to another and so my father and I did a simple test today to explore my theory on if the tablet itself plays a roll in the downlink video quality from a phantom. DJI states that a tablet that can support at least 720 resolution is needed to work. However I noticed that when I fly my screen looks fuzzy/pixelated compared to his sharper imaged video feed. So we tested with screen shots to compare and here are the results! It appears that the live video feed of 10mbps vs 4mbps DO NOT MATTER between the Pro and Advance. So now I'm off to see why someone would want 10mbps vs 4mbps.

His devices:
Phantom 3 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Tab S on Verizon network

My devices:
Phantom 3 Advanced
Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO, wifi only

We did four tests and took 3 screen shots in each test.

My tablet on his P3P and on my P3A
His tablet on his P3P and my P3A

Conclusion - The tablet does play a role in quality by the looks of the screen shots. My tablet seemed to be fuzzy/pixelated on both his P3P as well as on my P3A. His tablet looked sharper either on my P3A or his P3P.

Direct link to my google drive to download the three photos in order to view in high resolution. Photobucket seems to down size these photos.

First two photos are are 5120 x 3200
DJI Compare screen shots

What are your thoughts?

Tablet%204%20table_zpszm7imp95.jpg

Tablet%204%20table%20N%20copy_zpsxudr98ne.jpg

(cropped - NOT zoomed in)
Tablet%20table%20zoom_zps2y3xspfg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Royr1957 and Reed L
The quality looks nearly identical to my eye. I'd personally be happy with either device.

Reactions: Squirrel!
You'd have to download the photos to really see a difference. The scaled down version from photo bucket doesn't help much unfortunately

Is very noticeable while flying. Which is what led me to this test.

Needless to say I'll be ditching my tablet for a better one because of this issue alone. I thought it was because the pro sends up to 10mbps vs 4mbps for live feed but that doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

The quality looks nearly identical to my eye. I'd personally be happy with either device.

Maybe you know - and just missed the point.

What is the difference between the 10mbps downlink speed to on the Pro vs the 4mbps downlink speed on the Advance? In summary my test shows that these differences between the two models do not make a difference.

I don't know if it is because I do marketing work and stare at photos and signs for long periods of time but there is a pretty clear difference to me. That being said seeing the difference when outside in even overcast skies it is not likely you are going to see a difference. I currently use my Note 4 and ill be honest I did not think i would want anything else but after using my Phantom for a few weeks now with it I am thinking about a dedicated tablet.

MY eyes must be bad. Can't tell the difference.

In the real world it's being able to see the screen in sun light that counts.

MY eyes must be bad. Can't tell the difference.

In the real world it's being able to see the screen in sun light that counts.

It is much more apparent in the zoomed pictures but also in motion it might not make much of a difference. As you said in real work conditions it wont be noticeable. I stare at photos in the Adobe suite for hours at a time combing over them for mistakes so it might just be me.

I assure you in person on the tablet in live view it looks grainy on my tablet.

That's why I wanted to upgrade to the pro. But after seeing my dad's tablet crisp on my advanced..

Eh

A couple of thoughts.

1. The P3A has a max video downlink of 2Mbps no matter what setting is used in the app. Thats per DJI spec and it has been confirmed by users here by testing their cached videos.
2. I have an A and a P and I see a clear difference in FPV quality between the two. I use an Air 2 for both. It doesn't bother me too much, but I can still easily tell the P is better when I use it.
3. The people who really see a big difference in downlink quality between the A and the P are goggle users who have done lots of comparisons to confirm. Here's a good thread with screenshot comparisons and video comparisons.
Blurry Pixelation in outdoor settings with Phantom 3 Advanced - RC Groups
4. Perhaps you werent both in the same mode when you saw the difference on his tablet. If he was in video mode and you were in photo mode, that alone could account for a difference. I see your screenshots are all in photo mode which gives the lowest quality FPV. Maybe repeat the tests with both birds in video mode so each one is showing you its best FPV.
5. I was impressed with your comparison pix. You did a great job of getting them very close to the same.

Reactions: Reed L
We will try video mode next. However we dont often fly in video mode. Most the time it's setting up shots and it's frustrating having a somewhat blurry image.

My cropped shot I did you can see the bark much more clearly and the tree leaves are far more defined on my father's tablet on both platforms than my tablet. Makes a big difference when trying to line up a shot and focus in on the smaller details.

After seeing the results.. it has made me consider ditching the android (which I hate their tablets to begin with ) and scoop up an ipad air.

Yeah, ignore this. I missed where you said his tablet was better on both the P & the A.
Ignore this if you did acknowledge that fact, I probably missed it. ;)

Did another photo break down. These are CROPPED images. Not zoomed in.

Take notice of the roof lines, tree leave outlines & the bark between the grass/driveway. I think the roof lines are a solid point to show how blurry one is over the other..

Of course seeing this during flight as a whole image is very noticeable. further proving that the video downlink size doesn't play much role!

The left side photos are from the Galaxy Tab Pro on both the P3A & P3P and the photos on the right are from the Galaxy Tap S from both P3A and P3P

Cropped%20view_zpsb4w2hahk.jpg

I agree.

I'm trying to source a solid tablet holder for my Note Pro 12.2 so I can use that. Much cheaper to buy a tablet holder than pulling the trigger on a P3P to get a better live video feed! lol

IMG_1651_zpsysdfhqdl.jpg

I'm sorry but isn't this just a case of the differing specs of the tablets are not rendering/processing the images equally? One being more powerful so therefore processes the images better. Nothing to do with the downlink ....

I'm sorry but isn't this just a case of the differing specs of the tablets are not rendering/processing the images equally? One being more powerful so therefore processes the images better. Nothing to do with the downlink ....

In a way - yes - has nothing to do with the downlink. Of course I don't have a vast selection of tablets to test with - and it seems that a few members on here seem to think this is a stupid or worthless thread but I think it's a good starting point to better hone in on live view quality.

This is why I did the comparison. To show that so far - downlink size doesn't mean anything in this case.

Tab S looks the same (and better) than the Tab Pro. Sadly..

What about p4 comparison with p3p?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1