Tablet Reccomendation

Reaction score
I am considering an Android tablet due to vision problems and need a larger screen. Can several of you recommend a reliable tablet and screen size. I would like to keep my budget to $400 or less. Recommendations greatly appreciated.

Yep. Much the same question. Ipad/iPad mini/ Nexus 7. V2/ samsung galaxy tab/note Plenty of choices, really depends on size you need. < 400 there is lots available.

First topic was Thinking about a tablet. Now that I have decided I am now wanting recommendations on what models at a specific budget.

Thanks, I need all the input I can get. When it comes to PCs or Mac I know my business but I have never owned an Android tablet and know absolutely nothing about them. I just didn't want to buy something that was junk or not compatible or had horrible graphics and produced lag time. I just have to get something that my old eyes can see.

Same issue I have (presbyopia). FWIW, I've tried or still own the following:

iPad Air
iPad 2
Galaxy Tab 4 (7")
Galaxy Tab S (8.4")

By a very wide margin, the screen on the Tab S pretty much blows everything else out of the water in daylight. You simply cannot see anything else without a sunshade, and even with a sunshade it's borderline unacceptable. The quality of the AMOLED Tab S screen will simply blow you away if you have a chance to compare side-by-side with the other options.

Now lets compare what you actually get on iOS vs Android in terms of the DJI app itself. The DJI camera app on iOS is designed for the iPhone. It is NOT designed for the iPad and DJI doesn't care enough to fix it. What this means is it doesn't really scale. It's basically blown up from a 4.5" screen to an 8 or 10" screen, and it loses everything even resembling resolution. On android, however, DJI didn't have to "do anything". Most apps for Android basically scale properly out of the box and don't care if you're using a phone or a tab. Hell, you can even load them on your PC and run them with the right utility.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• GalaxyS.jpg
    GalaxyS.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 596
Asus memo, aka me175x is working also now due to Asus or dji 1.05 app update. All telemetry is working a 100% . I payed 150€ so its maybe a good idea to ?

Thanks so much. I am hearing nothing but great things about the AMOLED screen and most who use tablets and that have changed only did so for that reason. Once again, thanks so much.

Need suggestions. I bought the galaxy tab s. No problem getting connected but the viewing image is very blurred. I have tried different settings , no change. Any help would be appreciated.

If you referring to the FPV image then there is nothing you can do to change or improve that. In fact, I would say the higher res of your viewing screen the worse it will be as the device tries to scale the very low res image. Unfortunately it is what it is on any and all devices.

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear but, what is I guess.

BR56 said:
Need suggestions. I bought the galaxy tab s. No problem getting connected but the viewing image is very blurred. I have tried different settings , no change. Any help would be appreciated.

This is entirely dependent on the FPV resolution in the DJI app. The higher the resolution and FPS you choose in the app, the less FPV range you're going to get. The tablet or phone cannot make up for the poor quality of the video feed. 640x480 is as good as that Wil get.

I went with the Asus Memo Pad HD 7 - $149 USD - not too bad for the money - works just fine on FPV. Kinda cheap - but I did not like running around with my iPad Mini Retina in the display clamp - I could just see visions of it hitting the pavement.

I am seriously considering buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab S myself. I like the reviews and I do feel I need a BIGGER and BRIGHTER screen than my iPhone 5 can offer. I like the iPhone 5, but it's really not designed for FPV and video feed coming from the Phantom.

I have a Samsung Note 3 and its a massive phone with large screen but I am getting old and my eyes are not what they used to be. I would feel better with a larger screen. I will probably do an 8" screen.

kymedic121 said:
I have a Samsung Note 3 and its a massive phone with large screen but I am getting old and my eyes are not what they used to be. I would feel better with a larger screen. I will probably do an 8" screen.

Well since you're familiar with Samsung products already, it sounds like the Galaxy Tab S might work well for you too. There are two screen sizes to choose from and the smaller is 8.4. It's got an AMOLED screen with super HD display, not that that will help with the DJI app, but, it's also supposed to have superior clarity and brightness in sunlight.

Sasquatch said:
Well since you're familiar with Samsung products already, it sounds like the Galaxy Tab S might work well for you too. There are two screen sizes to choose from and the smaller is 8.4. It's got an AMOLED screen with super HD display, not that that will help with the DJI app, but, it's also supposed to have superior clarity and brightness in sunlight.

Right, the high res won't help with the video image, but it will certainly improve things like the interface symbology. Just compare the Android ground station part of the app in the images I posted above to what you get on the iPad; The difference is stunning. Not that the iPad has an inherently low res display or anything, but the DJI app simply doesn't make use of it on iOS.

So far the best screen I've used was a tf201 (asus transformer) which has something called super IPS+ whatever that stands for. What it means though is a great big screen which I can see even in bright sunny conditions.

Down side is the weight of the **** thing. I only tend to use it right now when I have someone with me who can hold it but plan on getting some sort of tray for the tx hanging round my neck so I can also mount the display.

I don't think they are made anymore but can be picked up quite cheap second hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic