tablet holder solution for controller

Reaction score
After a couple of failures to come up with a good solution to mounting my nexus 7 to the stock arm ball on the vision controller, I finally found one. Works with my tradecraft case as well..just had to cut a notch in the foam so the holder could fit. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Univ ... let+holder

Attachments

• IMG_0045a.jpg
    IMG_0045a.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,586
  • IMG_0047[1]a.jpg
    IMG_0047[1]a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_0049a.jpg
    IMG_0049a.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,649
Just to be absolutely certain - looking on Amazon it looks as if it should securely hold an iPad Air or similar but one of the answered questions on the Amazon site claims it will not. Also could you explain a little more about how you were able to get it mounted on the Vision's smart phone arm? The pics do not really indicate if you needed to do much in the way of modification to the mount

webravager said:
Just to be absolutely certain - looking on Amazon it looks as if it should securely hold an iPad Air or similar but one of the answered questions on the Amazon site claims it will not. Also could you explain a little more about how you were able to get it mounted on the Vision's smart phone arm? The pics do not really indicate if you needed to do much in the way of modification to the mount

not so sure about an ipad air as it's 6.6 inches in width compared to 4.72 of the nexus 7. the air might be too big for this particular holder. This one does, however, come with 2 sets of brackets (one set is for devices bigger than the N7). Anyway, the only thing i had to do is take off the stock socket off the vision controller ball and i had to do the same for the amazon holder. the holder's socket is a perfect fit for the stock ball. no other modifications needed.

Excellent thanks for the info.. ordered mine and should be delivered on Saturday.. my iPad may turn out to be a tad awkward at roughly 1lb weight and 6.6" wide and 9.4" high but it beats the heck out of the slow and difficult to read old company issued iPhone 4 that seems to lag horribly even with all background apps turned off.

yeah you should have no issues mouting the air to the holder now that I think about it, however with the stock mount im not sure you will have clearance on the bottom of your ipad and the controls. you may have to move the bracket all the way towards the top of the controller. let me know how it turns out.

I had built a iPad holder but was difficult to heavy screen glare and it had a fixed angle. Ordered the antiglare screen protector but they are on back order. This may be better with ability to change viewing angle. Ordered one myself.like with the larger screen, but the app is for iPhone only and when enlarged, the resolution really stinks. Need an iPad version to come out.

dastagg said:
I had built a iPad holder but was difficult to heavy screen glare and it had a fixed angle. Ordered the antiglare screen protector but they are on back order. This may be better with ability to change viewing angle. Ordered one myself.like with the larger screen, but the app is for iPhone only and when enlarged, the resolution really stinks. Need an iPad version to come out.

Did you use a full sized iPad? can you show off your set up with photos?

F6Rider said:
Thanks for the link OP, I was trying to figure out what I was going to use to mount my Nexus 7, this is great.

no problem. it think it's a cheap alternative solution that works.

tizzl10 said:
yeah you should have no issues mouting the air to the holder now that I think about it, however with the stock mount im not sure you will have clearance on the bottom of your ipad and the controls. you may have to move the bracket all the way towards the top of the controller. let me know how it turns out.

I bought the one you recommended and this one as well, since it adjusts the holder vertically which should allow clearance at the bottom of the iPad to keep it from overhanging the top of the controller and interfering with any of the controls, my only worry with this one will be if the ball mount is the wrong size.. and if worse goes to worse that will leave me with a good mount to use my iPad in my car:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG6LDE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

webravager said:
tizzl10 said:

I bought the one you recommended and this one as well, since it adjusts the holder vertically which should allow clearance at the bottom of the iPad to keep it from overhanging the top of the controller and interfering with any of the controls, my only worry with this one will be if the ball mount is the wrong size.. and if worse goes to worse that will leave me with a good mount to use my iPad in my car:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG6LDE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

you should be good. i think all of these holders for the most part use a standard size ball/socket size. this one looks like it extends outward a bit which would give you plenty of room to work with. nice find.

dastagg said:

try this
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6318#p47657

anyone try this hood from uavdirect? $25 seems fair
tabhood.jpg

or this tablet mount? $15 is a bargain
tabmount.jpg

Is there a benefit to using a nexus7 or ipad mini?

Also how much clearer is the video when displayed on either of the two?

flyNfrank said:
Is there a benefit to using a nexus7 or ipad mini?

Also how much clearer is the video when displayed on either of the two?
The video on my Nexus 7 (quad-core) is a lot better than the iPhone 5 I was using, besides being of course larger (old eyes) the wi-fi on the nexus is very fast, almost no noticable latency in the video from the camera. I am a MAC guy with IMAC's and iPad but I bought the Nexus just for FPV, the fact that it does all of the other normal 'Tablet' functions is a bonus.

i had my nexus out today in full sunlight and had no issues seeing the image clearly. just bump the brightness up all the way and it looks good. I am however having one issue I was hoping you guys would chime in on. I noticed today while flying that my camera control menu kept going into the background on me..this never happened when i used my iphone. is there a setting within the dji app that keeps the camera controls from backgrounding?

nevermind, i found it..lol.. toolbar autohide was selected in the settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic