T-Motor MT2216 800kv

Reaction score
I bought the T-Motor MT2216 800kv instead of the Gravity 2214 and last night i installed them. I removed the crappy DJI Phantom stock motors and soldered in the new 2216 motors. I checked the directions and everything was running like it should. I felt that I may have overheated a few of the speed controllers but I wasn't sure and took the sign that the motors were running that everything was alright.

After everything was put back together I installed my stock DJI props with a spacer and took the Phantom out flying. It felt a little more responsive and touchy. I went full throttle forward about 20 feet in the air and it was running fine then all of a sudden it fell down listing immediately to one side. I recovered it and was surprised that there was not any damage. Today, I calibrated everything, updated the NAZA to firmware version: 3.14 and it didn't appear to have any issues so I took it out to fly. Everything seems a bit touchy and in GPS mode it lists and goes to one side. All of the motors seem to be running okay. I made sure that the shell was put on the right way so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any ideas?

Are your props on solid, they shouldnt be loose I assume you are using stock props and so had to make them a full round 8mm diameter then use 8 to 5mm spacers. I am using the mt2216 kv900 version with good results both using stock props with spacers and some carbon 8045 props with 5.2mm diameter and a little masking tape around the shaft to cover the extra 2mm.

I am also using basic m5 nylock nuts which I find much easier to use then the ones provided. I assume you made sure that all props are rotating in the correct direction when you installed them. I dont think you would even get in the air if youbhad a single prop reversed so dont think that would be your problem.

I bought the kv900 version as I wasnt sure how the phantom would handle the kv800 as the stock motors are kv920.

The props are on solid and on the right way, I wonder if the heat from soldering damaged one or more esc. The flight characteristics just are not right. Did you adjust any gain settings in naza?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I did adjust gains for when using my carbon props but it flew fine using default gains and stock props, my first flights were shocking but that was because I also tried some other carbon props that really didnt work well with the phantom. Those were graupner clone 8x5 carbon props and I found they had much less lift, I went back to stock and default gains it was all good. A little better going to the stock shaped carbon props which I am using now.

Here are the specs showing the KV800 motors

20130515051819503.jpg

Here are the KV900

20130515051850998.jpg

The KV800 are down about 300 RPM at 50% throttle showing the figures at 11.1v on 10*3.8 props using 8 inch props at a lower RPM could be a problem on the phantom. Do you know of anyone else using the kv800 motors on a phantom with no issues?

It seems a bit odd if it takes off and fly's ok for a bit but then ends up off balance. Have you tried an advanced calibration and also calibrated the radio? Did you reconnect the GPS module correctly as I unplugged mine while installing the motors, also possibly check that your compass is reading within spec but this should come up in the LED showing compass is not calibrated.

those motors might be a little slow and powerful for a phantom. they'd really need bigger props or a 4s battery i think.
They also draw a lot more current than the standard motors - what esc's does a phantom have?

djneils98 said:
those motors might be a little slow and powerful for a phantom. they'd really need bigger props or a 4s battery i think.
They also draw a lot more current than the standard motors - what esc's does a phantom have?

I would say so,. as they don't even show 8" props in the specs!?

I think I found the perfect props for you motors, these work great on my mt2216 900kv motors but would also be great on the kv800. 9050 triblades and they turn the phantom into a badass quad much more lift and speed then any other prop I tried, they need balancing but I will put up some video examples soon. From what I have read elsewhere these triple blades will be equal to a 10x4 regular blade so it gets it should be great for the kv800. Here is one in terrible wind just to test jello in bright conditions but the wind shake is so bad it doesnt show jello too well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z69MhlX1AE[/youtube]

The quick test flight in calmer conditions but just after sunset so very low light, this was my first flight after a proper balance on the props it was just giving them a bit of a thrashing flying LOS. This one will be up in a couple hours I think.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yjxr9MN8U[/youtube]

I got mine elsewhere but these look the same, not sure how they would go with stock motors but are great with tmotors and come with a 5mm spacer so they are a perfect fit.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=5248

l5pi.jpg

djneils98 said:

Phantom has 18 amp ESC so should still be fine with any props that can fit on the phantom going by the chart with even the largest props at 100% throttle its below 18 amps.

These are a pretty flexible blade similar to the stock dji plastics flex wise but work well in my limited tests, I also have some 8040 triblades but I only did a very quick flight in them as it got even windier so I gave up early before it ended badly. The 8040 seemed much less stable then the 9050 but the wind was gusting probably up to 50kmh at that point and thats pushing the limits of the Phantom.

Hello everybody,

I just equip my phantom with 800kV 2216 and three-bladed 9x4, 7 + 3S 5000 mha.

Could help me with settings please gains?

I'm 160160100100

I have a big swing on the vertical axis.

Thank you for your help

(I do not see the 2 photos settings on page number 1 and sorry for the google translation)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic