Systems check on new unit

Reaction score
Just got mine today. I haven't flown it yet but I did a thorough operational checkout before and after firmware updates.
After all the posts here about the FPV picture not working, I wanted to make sure I tested before and after updating firmware.

First, out of the box, never connected to a PC, after the battery and range extender were charged up, I did some testing.
Everything worked normally.
FPV video from the camera in the DJI vision app was good on my iPhone 5s. DJI App verision 1.0.41. Control of the camera was good and the pictures and video it took were all good.
Motors (without props) all started and revved fine.
The only quirk I noticed was during startup, the camera gimbal yaws left-right in a clicking motion several times.
But when I pick up the phantom and walk around with it the gimbal works perfectly.

Then comes the firmware updates.
First the Transmitter. The software tells me it's already up to date. I calibrated it. All OK.

Then I updated the camera firmware by copying the file to a blank SD card, power on, watch the yellow light flash, then green.
I don't know if the camera firmware update was necessary. No way to check what version it was out of the box.
Verified operation again, no change. All OK.

There appears to be no firmware update for the WiFi range extender and no way to update the firmware. (Correct?)

Then comes the dreaded firmware update of the P2V+
I plug it in and it pops up right away that an update is available, then without asking if I want to update, it was done inside 30 seconds.
The update was only for P330CB which was 1.0.1.27 out of the box and was updated to 1.0.1.31 All other software was already up to date.
I power cycled and verified operation again. All OK.
Vision App shows FPV video, camera and gimbal functions all OK.

Check IMU status shows no need for calibration.
Did a TX/controller calibration and left all other settings at default.

I notice that after the firmware updates, the gimbal clicking at startup stopped.

Got the red-yellow-red-yellow light so I took it outside to calibrate the compass. No problem.

Then I did a preliminary WiFi range test by leaving it on the deck and walking away from it in the back yard. Got as far as I could go which was about 500 feet.
Then I lost connection while I was walking back. I checked on it to find that my phone had dropped the Phantom WiFi and reconnected to my home WiFi.
I could not get it to stay connected to the Phantom and had to "Forget" my home WiFi in order to get re-connected.
Which is a PITA because my home WiFi is 63 random alphanumeric characters so I can't just quickly re-enter the password to reconnect.
Anyone know a way to prioritize WiFi connections on an iPhone? It should have had better signal strength to the extender since it was inches away.
Maybe it preferred my home connection because it's encrypted and the Phantom isn't (yet)

I don't understand ? I fly mine at home and I can select my phantom network over my home wifi in the settings . My phone, iPad mini automatically connects to my home wifi wifi and remembers my password.
I just click on phantom in wifi and all is fine. First time I connected my iOS devices I had to enter my password now it defaults to it. Also I use a simple password on my router.

cahutch said:
because my home WiFi is 63 random alphanumeric characters so I can't just quickly re-enter the password to reconnect.

A little paranoid are we? How about something shorter, like 10 zeroes or something easier to remember. In the case of wifi encryption, the length or randomness of the encryption password does really affect the vulnerability of your network in the slightest.

In reality, an iPhone should not drop an existing connection in favor of a new one, even if it is remembered. If I am near my home network, I have to manually select it after turning on the phantom (that would be normal behavior). But it holds on until I turn the phantom off, at which time it switches back to my home network.

Great to see a yet to be flyer going to these lengths before flying. Good work.

If you are going to fly at home often, I would suggest forgetting your home network before connecting to the Phantom incase the Phantom connection breaks and your phone automatically switch back to it.

The latest camera update fixed the camera startup issue. There were to many cameras falling apart.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20