Sydney Australia video

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting a video together from my visit to Sydney. And before anyone says it, yeah, we have had this conversation about the legality of flying in the bay area. I still find nothing in CASA's website that says it's illegal but in any case it doesn't matter at this point. I chose an early morning when there were very few people out and I kept 99% of the air time over the water and always below 400'.

Anyway, enjoy!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very nice video.good flight smooth...

Nice video mate. But I'd be taking it down as you're within the 5km exclusion zone of about 6 or 7 airports. In particular, Sydney International. The busiest airport in Australia. Over water and under 400ft doesn't mean anything when your within the boundary of an airport.

Ballsy though!

Nice video mate. But I'd be taking it down as you're within the 5km exclusion zone of about 6 or 7 airports. In particular, Sydney International. The busiest airport in Australia. Over water and under 400ft doesn't mean anything when your within the boundary of an airport.

Ballsy though!

Wrong - 11km from Sydney airport to the cbd

Some great shots there especially over the opera house

Wrong - 11km from Sydney airport to the cbd

Some great shots there especially over the opera house

Actually I'm not wrong at all. Sydney Airport isn't the only airport in the area. There's numerous Helicopter Landing Sites in the area which all have the 3nm exclusion zone, not to mention, the majority of the area is a restricted Civil Aviation no fly zone.

Actually, most of Sydney is a no fly zone for drones.

See all the red circles? They are just the airfield restricted areas. This doesn't take in to account the aviation restricted zones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-31-15-38-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-31-15-38-15.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,920
Are you serious dude??

So because DJI say it's fine, Australian Aviation Legislation get a over ruled?

You need to not post up BS. Sydney Harbour IS 100% a no fly zone. No ********. Its written in law. Your little DJI map is cute but 100% incorrect.

Did I mention I work for The Civil Aviation Safety Authority and I am also a licensed Private Pilot?

Are you serious dude??

You need to not post up BS. Sydney Harbour IS 100% a no fly zone. No ********. Its written in law. Your little DJI map is cute but 100% incorrect.

Did I mention I work for The Civil Aviation Safety Authority and I am also a licensed Private Pilot?

Ooooh, a real life pilot....

Why don't you report him? - too many do gooder, can't fly here/there etc on these forums.

Get over yourself & calm down, sir.

Ooooh, a real life pilot....

Why don't you report him? - too many do gooder, can't fly here/there etc on these forums.

Get over yourself & calm down, sir.

So suggesting someone not fly a drone, potentially in the path of a passenger carrying helo, in a HIGHLY DOCUMENTED restricted area, makes me a "do gooder"? Drone pilots have a bad enough rep without people blatantly breaking the law and boasting about it on a public forum.

I've pointed out before the fact that I've seen at least two different no fly zone maps from DJI and they are both wildly inaccurate in many areas throughout Australia.
They do point out many outback airfields that are only used in emergency situations by the flying doctor service,they point out one airfield I know which is only ever used by one aircraft,all others are refused clearance,but they fail to point out some major airports and air force bases such as those close to my me.
I think the DJI no fly zone map is something to be ignored in favour of a little local research.
[file][/file][file][/file]
AUS No Fly Zones 1.JPG
AUS No Fly Zones 2.JPG

This image is of my region and you can see the two aifields DJI points out and I have marked some of the other local airports/fields and heliports(dots = heliports,lines = airports).
Since marking this map I have learned of even more that don't appear on either DJI map.
Local Air Feils & Heliports.JPG

By the way dronebow,beutiful images but you are breaking several rules several times.
You are well inside 30 meters of the Opera House for instance so I'm not surprised security hunted you out of there.
You've told me that you have seen the Flying With Control brochure but you must not have actually read it.

Last edited:
So suggesting someone not fly a drone, potentially in the path of a passenger carrying helo, in a HIGHLY DOCUMENTED restricted area, makes me a "do gooder"? Drone pilots have a bad enough rep without people blatantly breaking the law and boasting about it on a public forum.
Well, as I said before, I checked before flying and I really didn't find any information that it was a no fly zone. When I was told by the local security that it was a no fly zone unless CASA approves it I promptly left and didn't fly there again. So please do not misrepresent me saying that my posting of this video is me boasting about flying in a no fly zone. What's done is done though. No sense in deleting video and trying to hide it. But don't worry.. I won't be back to Sydney any time soon and if I do go back, you can rest assured I will not fly my drone in the bay area.

By the way dronebow,beutiful images but you are breaking several rules several times.
You are well inside 30 meters of the Opera House for instance so I'm not surprised security hunted you out of there.
You've told me that you have seen the Flying With Control brochure but you must not have actually read it.
I saw the brochure after the security guys told me about CASA. Never heard of CASA until that moment. But the brochure says nothing about the opera house or the bay area at all. How would I know that had not read it?

I was on the grassy area for the first flight and I sat and waited for any pedestrians to be clear. It was early on a Sunday morning and there was not a lot of folks out at all. Then I took it over the water.

The second flight I flew over the opera house from that fenced in cliff area. There was no one around except the security guys below that I didn't see.

So again, I believed I did my due diligence in being legal. It wasn't and I was advised then I stopped. Not sure why some folks get so bent out of shape. I'm not gloating about flying illegal. Not gloating at all...

As I said - Wrong.

Here's the Official DJI no fly zone for Sydney -

Please post correct information & not BS:)

View attachment 34628

2015-11-01 01.30.42.png

See that big red area labelled R405A and R405B? That's restricted airspace from surface to 1000 feet (500 in some parts) for helis and sea planes. Also the Sydney CTR is restricted from surface to 2500 feet (outlined in blue dotted line)

Not wanting to get into this old argument but please be aware that DJI maps only depict geofenced areas, not restricted airspace.

Nice video though ;)

(sorry for the double post, my phone messed up the last one)

Appreciate all the comments, even the negative ones. Without meaning to, there is an important point being illustrated here. Confusion. There is a big problem when it's not apparent to drone owners where the legality lies on fly or no fly zones. I understand what DJI is doing by restricting air space but it's not a true indicator. As I stated before, I did a bit of homework to determine if that was legal to fly in that area and without knowing anything about CASA I didn't really turn up anything specific. Even CASA was not too specific.

So there is the problem we face. No clear cut, one stop shop, place to see legal of not legal to fly. The burden is on the individual to do diligence and determine because it's not clear to everyone. This post illustrates that very well. And since the burden is on the individual, there will be a lot of opinions.

The FAA can pass down registration laws and charge fees but until they fix the information issue, nothing will change.

Are you serious dude??

I have to back up ScottyC, he is right. I am also Sydney based and the DJI map is so wrong. I have seen the official maps and it is not a good city for flying in. We have many airports in the Sydney area, plus helipads at hospitals & TV stations, etc. The result is? The Sydney area (especially the city and beaches) is pretty much a "no fly" zone, but it doesn't stop many.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers