Switching to Phantom 3 - any MAJOR differences?

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 2 about a year ago. Flew it many times and made several videos.

Now the place I work for bought a Phantom 3. They asked me to help them learn how to fly it, so I came here to get some quick pointers. (NOTE: They have not received the box yet, so I am trying to get ready for it.)

1) When we take it out of the box, do we need to download and do the calibration like I did with the Phantom 2?

2) Do I need to do the preflight compass calibration like I did with the Phantom 2?

3) Does it have Naza mode similar to Phantom 2? I would to set the limits to 100 feet high and 200 feet distance for the beginners. Also does it have Home lock and Course lock?

4) Anything else I should be aware of as far as basic flying?

Many thanks!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. The Go app is the major difference from a pilot's perspective as it contains SO much more information and adjustments.

The camera is different too as there's no FOV selection, but you can adjust exposure, ISO etc. A lot more to deal with. If you have flown before, then you will be at an advantage, but for a newbie pilot there is a LOT to take in.

Happy flying.

Connor

When we take it out of the box, do we need to download and do the calibration like I did with the Phantom 2?
Do #47 and #48 here.

Do I need to do the preflight compass calibration like I did with the Phantom 2?
The compass calibration works exactly as it does with the P2. You do not need to do it pre-flight though. Instead, do it per this guide.

Does it have Naza mode similar to Phantom 2?
It has "Beginner mode" -- which limits the distance you can fly.

Also does it have Home lock and Course lock?
Yes. Both can only be enabled when your Phantom is 10m+ in the air.

I am a first time phantom 3 owner had it for two days now. I took it out of the box charged the batteries did the updates compass self calibration as far as I can tell. I set beginners with a on screen set up very easy.

what the others said plus, first flight, wide open area, keep altitude low and distance low for the first charge on the battery. My first flight I spent the most amount of battery checking systems. flight controls, camera and landing and take off.

I found this from one of the links above... for compass calibration.

P3: Select CALIBRATE under AIRCRAFT STATUS | COMPASS. Click OK.

What if I don't have a screen? Is there a way to do compass cal by flipping a switch (similar to Phan 2)?

Last edited:
One other question, I can't seem to find anywhere that you "calibrate" the controls. With the phantom 2, you hook the remote controller and the Phantom to the PC and calibrate the controls. Where is the one for the Phantom 3?

I found this from one of the links above... for compass calibration.
P3: Select CALIBRATE under AIRCRAFT STATUS | COMPASS. Click OK.
What if I don't have a screen? Is there a way to do compass cal by flipping a switch (similar to Phan2)?
You need a tablet (or at a pinch, a phone)
Compass calibration and much more is accessed through the app
There is so much info in the app, you wouldn't want to fly without it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj