Switching between the P•A•F modes

Reaction score
Can the phantom be flown
Greater distance in one mode vs another?
I'm new to this phantom flying and I haven't posted a lot in fear of embarrassing myself LOL

If I start a flight in A mode which is my understanding uses the camera and ground sensors and I go a good distance away and I decide to switch to P will it automatically switch or is that something I have to landed in order to switch back to P effectively?
what exactly does FPV mean I thought It just meant you could follow your flight along with the video you're receiving on your phone or tablet device?

Can the phantom be flown Greater distance in one mode vs another?
No. The multiple flight mode setting will not increase the RC or Lightbridge range. You can only increase the range by somehow modifying the antennas. A windsurfer range booster is easy to use or make yourself.

If I start a flight in A mode which is my understanding uses the camera and ground sensors and I go a good distance away and I decide to switch to P will it automatically switch
Yes, the mode will switch in real-time.

what exactly does FPV mean
First Person View. It basically means it's what you'd see if your eyes were where the camera is located.

Last edited:
I've been seeing more and more on the "windsurfer" do you use one?
Do you honestly think they work?
Looks like it just slides over the existing antennas

I don't use one -- but, yes, they really do work. It makes the antenna a bit more directional though. That means you'll have to be certain you're pointing your remote controller directly at your Phantom at all times.

Not to sound rude, but given your previous questions I would recommend you learn a bit more about flying and how the craft works (ie, what happens in each mode, how to control the quad in ATTI mode, how RTH works, what to do during signal loss, etc) before modding your controller for more distance.

I appreciate that.
I pretty much have a handle on those thank you
I've never found anywhere where it says in fact you can switch between those mode during flight like I can on the phantom 2+ when switching to the home lock mode.
I'm a big reader and at times find myself obsessing over some simple when it's just as easy to post the question here

Also if you read the manual, Atti Mode does NOT use the VPS sensors. They are enabled in P-Mode when the craft is low enough.

I appreciate that.
I pretty much have a handle on those thank you
I've never found anywhere where it says in fact you can switch between those mode during flight like I can on the phantom 2+ when switching to the home lock mode.
I'm a big reader and at times find myself obsessing over some simple when it's just as easy to post the question here

The Left Hand Switch can be moved to any position during Flight. In fact the "F" mode menu is only available after one starts hovering with the latest Firmware and DJI GO App. You can go back to normal flight mode by switching back to "P".

The P-GPS is the normal Flight mode. It uses the GPS and Compass for Positioning and the Barometer for Altitude. Once you are below 3 meters then Visual Positioning System (VPS) becomes functional. Indoors where you do not have GPS, the VPS is the main form of position stabilization.

The A or "ATTI" Mode, you do not have GPS. It is a strictly manual mode and it is the go to mode when "things" are failing. It is good to practice (at altitude) to switch to this mode and play with hovering in place. If you let the sticks go, the Phantom will drift with the wind.

The F or "Multiflight" or "Intelligent Navigation" Mode is only available once the Phantom is in the air. Here is a good video that shows the features available:

I hope this helps and that I got it right!

I've been seeing more and more on the "windsurfer" do you use one?
Do you honestly think they work?
Looks like it just slides over the existing antennas
To give an analogy, remove all the elements off a TV antenna other than those connected to the feedline and you have something simmillar to the standard ohantom remote antenna. The windsurfer alters the radiation pattern to have gain in one direction over others (arguably the biggest benefit is it reduces the strength of unwanted signals from behind where you are pointing) significantly improving signal to noise ratio. It is clear that most get greatly improved range from using it.

Sure you can find reviews, these are the ones I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IP2P98?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Only disadvantage of that model is they are a bit heavy and the antennas tend to spread apart, but a little piece of packing tape across the top fixed that.

From my testing I would say they increase my signal strength 50% or more. They act a bit like satellite dishes, they gather the signal from an area wider than the antenna and the semi-circle shape reflects the signal to the antenna.

I can't find anywhere on Amazon where anyone's written a review
This what I recommend if you don't want to make your own. These are 3D printed, easy to use, easy to store, and cost much less than other range extenders. The two piece arrangement with two parabolic reflectors are easier to store in a backpack or case. I get 2+ miles over water and desert. In town it's more like 1.5-2mi. They do work, typically doubling distance, they provide very good value. The other solutions from FPVLR and DBS are more expensive and will go farther, but require modification to the receiver, voids any warranty you might have, and won't fit into most cases without removing the antenna. And even if you remove the antenna (FPVLR & DBS), sometimes there's not enough room to store it in most cases.

Last edited:
The Left Hand Switch can be moved to any position during Flight. In fact the "F" mode menu is only available after one starts hovering with the latest Firmware and DJI GO App. You can go back to normal flight mode by switching back to "P".

The P-GPS is the normal Flight mode. It uses the GPS and Compass for Positioning and the Barometer for Altitude. Once you are below 3 meters then Visual Positioning System (VPS) becomes functional. Indoors where you do not have GPS, the VPS is the main form of position stabilization.

The A or "ATTI" Mode, you do not have GPS. It is a strictly manual mode and it is the go to mode when "things" are failing. It is good to practice (at altitude) to switch to this mode and play with hovering in place. If you let the sticks go, the Phantom will drift with the wind.

The F or "Multiflight" or "Intelligent Navigation" Mode is only available once the Phantom is in the air. Here is a good video that shows the features available:

I hope this helps and that I got it right!

How did you get the airshou recording app? Is you ios device jailbroken or did you get it another way? I want that app!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20