Swarm technology?

Reaction score
Plexidrone and Zano have or will have this new technology.
The idea of being able to coordinate several drones taking video from different angles, using one controller, is an appealing one.
Do you think the Phantoms could adopt it too?

Narrator said:
The idea of being able to coordinate several drones taking video from different angles, using one controller, is an appealing one.
For a price, anything can be adopted...patents are huge in the technology field.

The military already does this with very tiny video drones. The 'bad guys' will think it is a swarm of bugs. I doubt Phantoms will be able to use swarm technology any time soon. Plus, who can afford enough Phantoms to make a Swarm? And, for what purpose?

A lot of this sounds great on paper, but I'm wondering when you actually put it too practice, how great it will actually be. I watched one reviewer of the Follow Me feature couldn't help but keep looking back to make sure the drone was still there. My luck, I would be skiing down the slope and then look back and there would be nothing there.

Narrator said:

I doubt Phantoms will have this capability any time soon, although it could be very useful for filming a sporting event where you'd like to have multiple angles at once.

This would be a great feature for Search & Rescue and police operations. Just imagine if a suspect runs off into the woods at night. The cops could launch 5 or 6 drones equipped with thermal cameras and fly them in a single line across a wide swath of ground with only one operator. Could be very effective.

A few months ago I seen the most awesome demonstration of swarm technology and they were using tiny drones to demo it.

It was sick they had about 8 drones operating together. and doing things cooperatively in unison with each other. The coolest thing they did was hook up a net to them all and they would toss a ball in the air and not only were the tiny drones able to catch the ball in the net they were able to fly in towards each other so the net dropped down some then they would fly away from each other and make the net go taunt and they were tossing the ball up in the air. Then catch it again.

They also didnt have or need much in them other then a small open source program on single chip computer to run them.

There also is already a small start up out of korea that is making small mico drones that have there own on board linux single chip computer and the whole thing is made to be on one printed circuit board in an x shape with the motors attached to the arms on the ends of the x. and the software is already open source. and people can also 3d print out the bodys to make bigger ons. But they said these already have 100s of times more computing power and the ability to run way more sensors then the BIG CHINESS Co that is the leader in the industry and also they said they will be a fraction of the price of the other cos drones. Im assuming they were meaning dji. But they were doing some very cool things with them to. for one they dont need or even use a transmitter to control them and they also dont use gps and instead use artificial intelligence to navigate as well as avode obstetricals. So they can be flow in doors or out and range is only an issue of how far it can go on the battery being they are told were to go and they just go were you tell them to go with out haveing to stay in range of the control tx

and by telling it what to do. They can either be programmed for a flight by plugging in to a computer to program what you want it to do or were to go. Or you can put it on the sd card and put it in the slot. but the coolest part was you can also just talk to it and give it commands. They would say land and it would land or go 5 meters and turn 90 degress and go straight 5 meters and come back. and when there was a person in the way it was able to go around them and figure out how to still get to point a to point b. It was sick . then they played a game with about 5 people standing in a circle and they played toss with it. It would be in the palm of one persons hand and when they tossed it up in the air it would fly and land in the next persons hand and they trained it after a few tosses to each person to know who each person it was. So say jim catches it and says im jim then tosses it to joe and then joe says Hi I am jim then tosses it to bob or bill. It would learn were each person was. Then they could toss it and say go to jim or bill or bob and it would go to the person you tossed it to. It was totally awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues