Survival story and what could i have done better?

Reaction score
Hey all

Was flying around today, when decided to go far for around 2km. When the battery was close to Go Home point i pressed return home.

Question 1.
RTH kicked in and in couple of seconds i lost signal (due to a mountain, not very straight signal).
When signal renewed, reconnected, it was asking me that in 10 seconds AC will RTH. I pressed Ok. But i noticed that before that it wasnt moving. how could this happen as i have already pressed RTH? ( maybe i had switched to atti here, could that be the case?)

While coming back it was a headwind and i understood i got in a slight trouble. Battery wont be enough.
I switched to ATTI, but forgot to turn off the video recording.

In the end the critical battery landing made it to the parking space close to me, when it was landing i somehow made it avoid landing in the tree. So all went fine.

Question 2.
What could have i done better? Meaning, switching to atti was a good idea or there was something else i could have done? (Of course besides NOT flying so far in a wind)

ill be uploading flight log soon

Thx
Enjoy flying
Stay safe

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Hmm. Almost two hours. A thread like this - normally I'd expect about a dozen posts by now... several conflicting opinions - and at least one outright argument.

If the AC was in RTH, it would stay in RTH. Could it be it wasn't in RTH like you thought? Yes if you switched to ATTI, it will come out of RTH.

Good job getting it home. With a headwind like that, best thing is to fly as low as you can without losing signal because the winds are reduced at low altitude. Someone once told me that ATTI is risky with a low battery because it promotes the danger of a cell dropping into the critical zone. Best to use ATTI on the way out, but not on the way back in, they said. Makes sense to me.

MHO

Reactions: cfd701 and t2adze
Sounds like you switched to atti and cancelled Rth. The 10 second warning is a low power Rth warning. I prefer to use gps on the way back and not atti so I don't fight wind drift. Glad ya got it back okay. I've had a few similar, it gets the heart racing for sure.

Reactions: t2adze
I'm really happy for you getting your AC back mate; it's such a sickening feeling when you loose connection and that screen goes black. I'd never think of moving to ATTI in that situation - I think that'll add more complication to getting the AC back.

Reactions: t2adze

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik