Surveying an aerial job (promotional videos)

Reaction score
There is a good chance I will be allowed to do my first promotional video for a local hotel, I'm not doing it commercially just yet as I don't have the license, I'm doing it from the point of view to practice, build confidence, and be able to put it in my portfolio to build upon.

I have an idea on how I want to approach the video and the sort of shots that I would like, but I wanted to see if anyone else has already done this, and, if so, how do you professionally approach a job?

I'd like to draft a document/survey that I can take with me to the client that details what sort of music they would like, any specific angles they wish for the hotel to be captured etc.

I don't want to just turn up and try to figure out how and what footage I want to get. Ideally I'd like to do a consultation first of all on the first visit, take ground photos of the hotel, take my survey document and have a conversation with the client to decipher their needs, and then go away and make a plan.

Question is, what would such a survey look like or contain, does anyone use this approach when acting commercially?

I'm sorry if I'm waffling, trying to get my point across as best I can.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I find that clients rely on me to determine what should be shot and how it should be edited. I started out with the approach you suggest and have had clients tell me they want me to decide since I'm the pro.
Word of caution, even though your intention is to do it for practice, if the client uses it in any way it is considered commercial and since you don't have a license illegal. Even if you don't get paid.

Reactions: flyboy73
I find that clients rely on me to determine what should be shot and how it should be edited. I started out with the approach you suggest and have had clients tell me they want me to decide since I'm the pro.
Word of caution, even though your intention is to do it for practice, if the client uses it in any way it is considered commercial and since you don't have a license illegal. Even if you don't get paid.

Oh really? I thought if I wasn't doing it for monetary gain then it couldn't be classed as commercial?

Thing is the same hotel has used our wedding photographs on their website (this was a couple years ago but they are still on the main page when you visit), in exchange for a complimentary stay at the hotel. I don't really see the difference?

Oh really? I thought if I wasn't doing it for monetary gain then it couldn't be classed as commercial?

Thing is the same hotel has used our wedding photographs on their website (this was a couple years ago but they are still on the main page when you visit), in exchange for a complimentary stay at the hotel. I don't really see the difference?
Sorry, you said it yourself. Promotional video for the hotel and for your portfolio. Both come under Part 107 as commercial. No money has to change hands. Difference in the wedding photo is that the photographer didn't take them from a sUAS. Or if he did, he would have needed then a 333 exemption. Search the threads here, just about every twist to get around needing the Part 107 has been proposed and all have been shot down.

Sorry, you said it yourself. Promotional video for the hotel and for your portfolio. Both come under Part 107 as commercial. No money has to change hands. Difference in the wedding photo is that the photographer didn't take them from a sUAS. Or if he did, he would have needed then a 333 exemption. Search the threads here, just about every twist to get around needing the Part 107 has been proposed and all have been shot down.

Is this the same in the UK though? Perhaps any UK commercial operators on this site could chime in?

EDIT: Apologies I should have made it clear in the original post that I wasn't based in the US.

I've tried to find the relevant information on the CAA's site (Civil Aviation Authority) and I've had a good look at the Air Navigation Order for more specifics on what is deemed commercial work.

As far as I can tell, Part 107 and a 333 exemption is US based.

The terminology used within the official order has fried my brain at this late hour, but this blog post has shed a bit more light on the matter and is somewhat easier to understand:

Drones and the Law: Aerial work - what is valuable consideration?

Key terminology is whether what I would be doing would be classed as "valuable consideration". No agreement would formally take place, and use of the video for a portfolio would surely be no different to me uploading a video to YouTube or Instagram?

Until I use that video to source FURTHER commercial, paid work, surely it is no different to a hobbyist video? And by the time I come to use my portfolio to source work, and actually use the clips from this video, I intend to have the correct permissions and licenses in place for commercial operation anyway.

Last edited:
Oops, all of my comments refer to US regs.

Simple answer is I ask the client if there's anything particular that he or she is looking for. Then I go and shoot a whole bunch of other angles over and above what they are expecting. In post you can make it look awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Simple answer is I ask the client if there's anything particular that he or she is looking for. Then I go and shoot a whole bunch of other angles over and above what they are expecting. In post you can make it look awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

How did you get in to doing it mate? Were you already in the property business?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4