Surge at shutdown?

Reaction score
this may have been addressed earlier, but i haven't ran across it.

Last two outings my phantom vision will surge when i go to shut it down. Sticks both down and to the middle.
Causes the p2v to try to tip over.

I just installed my Rotorpixel gimbal. Not sure if it was related.

This is exactly why I changed the motor arm method is the Naza assistant. Instead of the centre stick command I use the hold throttle straight Down setting. This way I'm not input anything other Than throttle down on landing.

The safest way to always shut down, regardless of mode, is to move only the throttle stick straight down and hold for about 3 or 4 seconds. No surge, no tip over. Only use the CSC to start up.

Agreed. Nothing to do with the gimbal, and no need to change any software settings. Once she's down, just hold that throttle fully down until the motors stop.

It's also the only safe way to cut the motors when hand-catching the aircraft, which you might want to practice more often given the smaller ground clearance with the gimbal attached.

Russair said:
this may have been addressed earlier, but i haven't ran across it.

Last two outings my phantom vision will surge when i go to shut it down. Sticks both down and to the middle.
Causes the p2v to try to tip over.

I just installed my Rotorpixel gimbal. Not sure if it was related.

This happened to me twice. Once I was able to just hold it in place. The second time, I'd just landed it showing someone how cool it is, and all of a sudden it powers up and tries to take off. In that millisecond it happened, I saw it flying off in my head and crashing into some kid or causing an accident on a local road a mile away and something bad, so before it got more than 3 feet off the ground, I swatted it like a bug and flipped it upside down. Stung the fingers a bit. Glad I had gloves on! There it sat upside down in a parking lot, motors trying to go full power. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what'd happened.....then it dawned on me. While I was busy talking to this guy, I inadvertently turned off the radio. The P2V was still running on the ground and went into RTH mode....which was exactly what it was suppose to do! I felt like an idiot but only trashed the tops of the props! It's flown fine since.

Shutting down....shut down the P2V, THEN the radios! :eek:

1dr1 said:
The safest way to always shut down, regardless of mode, is to move only the throttle stick straight down and hold for about 3 or 4 seconds. No surge, no tip over. Only use the CSC to start up.

X2. DO NOT USE THE CSC to shut down!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic