Super Slow Motion

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,my first post.
A question for all the editors producing super smooth and slow motion,
I am trying different frame sizes and frames per second on my hero3 black to achieve this smooth and slow motion,
What are you guys using setting wise on your go pros? I have tried 1080 at 60fps but my pinnacle editing software just won't have it,
I tried converting aswell as bringing the 60 fps clip onto a 25 fps timeline but still not super smooth ( I purchased the phantom, gimbal and go pro3 black just to produce super slow motion projects)
What editing software works best for these clips?
Any info will be very welcome, thanks guys.
Sorry if its been asked before, i am sure it must of been!
George Loft
Dorset, England.

Adobe After Effects and do this. Check out this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4feQ1HylGC0
This uses a technique by which new frames are calculated and inserted between two actual frames from your camera. To make the most of this, a high shutter speed helps (e.g. don't use a neutral density filter and shoot in bright light if you can).

- You can also do slow motion retiming with Motion/FinalCutPro on the Apple platform if you're not using Adobe
- You can set your GoPro to film at 240fps (albeit at low resolution)
- There's a wonderful commercial plugin I've used in the past called twixtor (FCP, Premiere, etc) which uses motion estimation to calculate the motion vectors and generate intermediate frames. Similar to the above Motion/Premiere solutions, but MUCH more effective with a lot more control. Might be overkill for what you're looking for though.

It depends on just how much you want to slow down your footage.

The most important thing is starting off with shooting at the highest frame rate possible, depending on what resolution and field of you you desire. 60fps if you can,. and even 120fps is possible in 720p.

You can then change the movie frame rate down to 24fps or 30fps in any video editing app, including GoPro Cineform. which will effectively give you a 50-65% slow-motion effect.

But if you want to go slower, you'll want to step up into an app that's capable of blending/warping in-between frames, such as Adobe After Effects (and I believe Premiere has it as well), so does Final Cut Pro on the Mac.

You do not really need Twixtor anymore, as Adobe purchased/developed it's own pixel-based frame blending thats built into After Effects (and Premiere as well). Just turn on Frame Blending->Pixel Motion in After Effects and it will do the same.
plus After Effects and Premiere also include the Timewarp plug-in,. which is the same as Twixtor as well, and offers additional control.

Thank you all for your help, really good information.
Cineform Studio done a perfect job last night converting the videos, no dropped frames and super smooth slow motion.
so simple when you know how !!
thanks again
George Loft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.