Super scared of trees...

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Totally new pilot here, on day 4 with the Phantom 4 [emoji28] I was wondering if you guys have any tips on flying close to trees?

I've been wanting to fly lower while shooting 360 orbits of buildings, but get really anxious about the trees. I don't fully trust the obstacle avoidance system yet, and don't think it would prevent from crashing in a tree while doing a 360 orbit..

I've been trying to figure out the exact height of the tallest tree around the building and setting my altitude to a meter or so above its height, but then again I'm unsure if the horizontal line on the screen represents the bottom of the aircraft? How do you guys go about it?

Many thanks!
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Line of sight all the way through the orbit is the best way of not hitting any trees, sometimes though this can be difficult though. I usually give myself a cushion between the tree and the bottom of the craft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was wondering if you guys have any tips on flying close to trees?

I've been trying to figure out the exact height of the tallest tree around the building and setting my altitude to a meter or so above its height
You are right to be scared of trees.
Trees and buildings are the number one cause of problems for Phantom flyers.
The best advice is to allow a wide safety margin around trees.
Just a metre isn't enough.

Trees are scary, that's why I give myself a generous cushion ( both vertically and horizontally) like Meta4 and ToastyPizza said

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PaulJohn
I agree a meter is too close. I am new too and as I was flying over the canopy I wasn't but maybe 3-5 meters above, this made it like my remote was punching through a TON of obstacles! As the signal propagates it goes up and out, so the higher the better anyway, as far as signals.
You mentioned doing like 360* filming, and you are 100% correct, it will not "see" a tree sideways so OA won't help you anyway. If your detirmined to get as close as you can, do your best take, then double it, so if you think you need 10' above, make it 20' at least....

It's like firewood, whatever you think you might need to get thru the night and stay warm, a good rule is to get double, then double that! Lol

Reactions: peterepeat69
You are right to be scared of trees.
Trees and buildings are the number one cause of problems for Phantom flyers.
The best advice is to allow a wide safety margin around trees.
Just a metre isn't enough.

also keep in mind the phantom's telemetry is not perfect and may be off a bit. so i wouldnt entirely trust it.

Reactions: PaulJohn
I do a minimum of 50 ft when flying over heavily wooded forest and I watch the screen constantly.

There's always seems to be that one abby normal tree or treed hill you didn't know about.

What shape is your phantom in after hitting tree

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Im seeing from videos that the crash avoidence struggles when it comes to trees.
I agree with you. The difference that may matter though is the height and distance the P4 tracks or follows compared to the 3 series. I've seen videos of it at like 8' following a guy around, it coulda been a little higher. At that close distance you could stay in a clearing or trail area, if it's wide enough, obviously not a tight trail or single trail area. Is that a 1000 in your sig?

Nice, I put dual exhaust and an AutoTune with a PowerCommander V had to then redo the stock plumbing with a DragonFire intake, my 900 screams, flat out gets on it, could use a racing clutch setup to really put it to the ground better

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31