Super Newbie Question, Don't Laugh

Reaction score
If I launch outdoors with a P3A and go walking indoors with my controller, can I still fly it albeit with reduced range due to walls of the house, or must I remain outdoors with my controller at all times?

The signal is microwave which does not bend and penetrate anything very well. As mentioned, you'd almost assuredly loose connection. Also, you should at least be in a position to know where your Phantom is and what is around it. Being a new flier I'd also try to keep it within line of sight. The Phantom is not something you can just walk away from and expect for everything to be perfect. Great care should be taken when it's flying.

Reactions: garykeithmead1
I guess I felt that if the signal could travel 2 miles in the open, it could go through the wall of my home for 1000 feet or so

Assuming the intent is to get out of the cold weather???

As a hobbyist you are required to maintain visual sight of your aircraft at all times.

I guess I felt that if the signal could travel 2 miles in the open, it could go through the wall of my home for 1000 feet or so

What to cold outside!!

Blah, Blah, Blah

Hi Leon
Indoors, with a house full of electrical wiring, x number of mobile phones, and your wi-fi router all transmitting at the same time, RC transmits at 2.400 GHz-2.483 GHz, most wi-fi routers transmit at around 2.4 GHz no way Jose :-(
Waylander

Reactions: Numone
There is no law that requires this (in the US anyhow). It's a great suggestion though.

Then maybe you should read this paragraph (c) of section 336 special rule for model aircraft date Feb 14, 2012. Those rules date back further then this date.

Stick to the topic at hand, not FAA regulations.

If you want to get out of the cold, sit in your car with the heat pumping. I do it all the time.

Reactions: Leojay
Ok so yes you all got me, I don't like the cold. How is it that my 2.4 stuff like cordless phones and wifi routers only have a range of 100 feet or so. If the phantom uses 2.4 how does it go for for miles?

I use one of these to keep my hands and the TX warm. :D
You can even throw a couple hand warmer packs in there for some additional heat.

IMG_1925.jpg

Reactions: jimerb
Ok so yes you all got me, I don't like the cold. How is it that my 2.4 stuff like cordless phones and wifi routers only have a range of 100 feet or so. If the phantom uses 2.4 how does it go for for miles?

Hi Leojay

On the face of it, yes it does seem strange however, it's all down to transmition power, and antenna gain, ( I'm no expert ), but look at your local cell tower, some big stuff hanging from that, just to ensure good signal, here is a link which might explain more.
Long-range Wi-Fi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
Waylander

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.