Suggestions or Tips for ......

Reaction score
I used to race SUPER-KARTS (go-karts on steroids) They are Pro-Racing machines that are powered by either 125cc M/C engines (called shifter-karts) that are fitted to Computer Designed Chassis. They go 0-60 in about 3.3seconds NO BS! And pull G's like a Muther! 90% of all your F-1 Drivers started out with these...they are no joke. The Kart we built back in 1997 cost $14,000. There are 2 Organizations, the WKA & the IKF.
Now my other Kart is actually the SUPER-KART, which was a BEAST, it was a longer Chassis with a 250cc Rotax (shifter) It was made to race on on the same road-race courses as the SCCA & IMSA Organizations, races like any F-1 Race track's- INDY, all those tracks! These machines done right are actually fitted to the driver like a glove! They have a top speed of 130mph (in the draft) So NO JOKE!!!! Full fairings that make it slipstream like a bullet!!!
(I have actually set Pic's of my Race Karts to J. James, so if your read this Bro could you upload those to this post please, this PC won't let me....)

Anyway, I retired from racing both machines for 5 seasons 2001. Since then I have been out of the game... However there is an Awesome track (world class) that is only about 15 min's from my house. I looked up the new Track President & asked him if anyone had done any filming of the races with a Drone? He said no, but was VERY INTERESTED! So the first race I am going to film is this Sunday..The Photo in this post is a Google Shot of the track....as you can see it is a large Road-Race Pro Track WORLD-CLASS!!

My point to this Post is I haven't done any type of filming like this??? I don't even know where to start to look ect, for tips on how to do it??? It would be similar to drone video I have seen for Super-cross.... Anyone out there that can steer me in the direction on how I can develop my skills on filming a race with my P2V+???

I would be VERY THANKFUL!!!

MOOSE

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 573
A few tips on how I would approach this..

1. Practice using Course Lock as it might come in handy.
2. Have multiple batteries charged up and ready.
3. Using the aerial, determine the best location to set up where you can efficiently film a number of turns and straights without having to travel much.
4. Probably not worth it to try to fly parallel with the cars down a straight because the drone won't even come close to keeping up with them.
5. Do not film from directly over the track. If you fall from the sky, you'll have big problems. If you want to film cars coming at you, film them head-on above the grass as they approach a curve.
6. Stand and establish your home point on the OUTSIDE of the track - or you'll be trapped on the inside of the track for the duration of the race.
7. Cancel if it is raining or very windy.
8. Don't fly over the crowd.
9. Don't forget to hit the record button. (Yes, I've done that.)
10. Five days is not nearly enough time to practice for this. Ask if they will allow you to practice filming there and experiment with shots when the track is not being used this week, or is just being used for practice runs by the racing teams.

Good luck.

MapMaker53 said:
A few tips on how I would approach this..

1. Practice using Course Lock as it might come in handy.
2. Have multiple batteries charged up and ready.
3. Using the aerial, determine the best location to set up where you can efficiently film a number of turns and straights without having to travel much.
4. Probably not worth it to try to fly parallel with the cars down a straight because the drone won't even come close to keeping up with them.
5. Do not film from directly over the track. If you fall from the sky, you'll have big problems. If you want to film cars coming at you, film them head-on above the grass as they approach a curve.
6. Stand and establish your home point on the OUTSIDE of the track - or you'll be trapped on the inside of the track for the duration of the race.
7. Cancel if it is raining or very windy.
8. Don't fly over the crowd.
9. Don't forget to hit the record button. (Yes, I've done that.)
10. Five days is not nearly enough time to practice for this. Ask if they will allow you to practice filming there and experiment with shots when the track is not being used this week, or is just being used for practice runs by the racing teams.

Good luck.

GREAT TIPS!!! Just what I was needing...Thank you So much!!!!!

I will let you know how it went, post some video of a few races!

Thanks again!

MOOSE

Moose said:
I used to race SUPER-KARTS (go-karts on steroids) They are Pro-Racing machines that are powered by either 125cc M/C engines (called shifter-karts) that are fitted to Computer Designed Chassis. They go 0-60 in about 3.3seconds NO BS! And pull G's like a Muther! 90% of all your F-1 Drivers started out with these...they are no joke. The Kart we built back in 1997 cost $14,000. There are 2 Organizations, the WKA & the IKF.
Now my other Kart is actually the SUPER-KART, which was a BEAST, it was a longer Chassis with a 250cc Rotax (shifter) It was made to race on on the same road-race courses as the SCCA & IMSA Organizations, races like any F-1 Race track's- INDY, all those tracks! These machines done right are actually fitted to the driver like a glove! They have a top speed of 130mph (in the draft) So NO JOKE!!!! Full fairings that make it slipstream like a bullet!!!

I think you are in the wrong forum.

eurostylin said:
Moose said:

OK Mr 29 total posts....became a member like 5 minutes ago.....Which one should I have posted this in??

MOOSE

Moose said:
eurostylin said:
Moose said:

OK Mr 29 total posts....became a member like 5 minutes ago.....Which one should I have posted this in??

MOOSE

LOL I don't think he read the entire post, I admit at first I was thinking WTF? also. :D then I read more and understood.

Badger55 said:
LOL I don't think he read the entire post, I admit at first I was thinking WTF? also. :D then I read more and understood.

Oh whoops, I quit reading when someone was bragging about a $14,000 go cart from 1997. my bad.

Some of the best clips that I have seen have been where the camera flies obliquely across the track while the action goes on underneath. I would agree with MapMaker that you shouldn't try to run with the karts, they will be so fast that even a very experienced pilot would have real trouble keeping up.

For me, a slow drift diagonally across the track, or a few panning shots either from the side or overhead would work well. Looks like a great project - I look forward to seeing the results.

I agree these are all very good tips, especially #10 by Mapmaker. With little experience on this type of video work, getting familiar with the track appears monumental. I know you wouldn't want to have your quad possibly cause a multi-vehicle pile up for some reason or another, as I'm sure you are aware these vehicles can cause some substantial wind turbulence depending on your positioning, but hopefully with a bit of practice it will all turn out fine. Best of luck on this.

eurostylin said:
Badger55 said:

Oh whoops, I quit reading when someone was bragging about a $14,000 go cart from 1997. my bad.

Not Bragging D.B. just stating a fact. If I was going to brag I would have talked about my IMSA & SCCA rides.... GET A LIFE A.H....

MOOSE

BTW New Guy your not going to get much help or go far with comments like yours...but thank you for showing everyone your class!

Moose,

I know you have been having FPV issues. Did you resolve that for this venture? Just wondering.

You're race car adventures sound awesome. I didn't even know that stuff existed.

BlackTracer said:
Moose,

I know you have been having FPV issues. Did you resolve that for this venture? Just wondering.

You're race car adventures sound awesome. I didn't even know that stuff existed.

First of all Thank you for thinking about me! Classy.... And I'm happy to say that my Drone is GTG, I just got back from flying 6 batteries worth!!! So I'm VERY HAPPY :D :D :D
And I'm VERY PUMPED about filming the races this Sunday!!!

Thanks again for your kind post!

MOOSE

send me info about your race might drop by, I will be filming the Bluebonnets field in chapel hill,
Mariano

see if you can get inside the upper ( northern part of the track) got 3 or 4 turns plus 2 straight lines set your home point st center of grass so your close from any point if you need rth, karts will be slower there , if they like it next time can be 2 drones filing

So how did things go, Moose? Did you wind up filming the race?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj