Suggestions for filming a parade

Reaction score
I am considering filming our towns Christmas parade and would welcome suggestions.

The parade will be on a 5 lane road with single story businesses on each side of the road. My tentative plan is to film 100-200 feet off the roadway and move perpendicular for filming as not to be directly over people.

I have checked with local law enforcement and there are no laws or ordinances prohibiting the flight, but they did bring up safety concerns with the public which I agree with and will plan my activities accordingly.

I am utilizing a P3P.

Thanks for all input.

Your local authorities might not bother you, but the FAA will if you crash and injure someone. At the least, you might want to pick up at least a million dollar insurance policy if you plan on flying around large crowds of people. I don't think it's a good idea though.

Is this a night or day, thinking of image quality?

Put it on a tether short enough not injure people if something goes bad. Tethered with an assistant to pull it way from danger. Of coarse if the props can cut the tether everything gets worse.

I think I will always use prop guards, I use fish line around the guards for more protection. Wrist, neck, arms, legs, etc.

Before you fly, what if those props came in contact with a toddlers body part, neck or wrist.

Question for all..
Is there any reason not to use fish line and use the string that comes with the prop guards?

Before you fly, what if those props came in contact with a toddlers body part, neck or wrist.
Or, worse -- the Phantom flies over the crowd, shuts off mid-air, drops like a rock, and strikes someone on the head. It could really kill someone. I know flying over (or even near) a parade sounds cool on paper, but I wouldn't recommend anyone try it.

Thank you for your suggestion. I believe I will be far enough away to prevent contact with the public unless I experience a major malfunction. From my past experience the people are within 50' of the roadway and I was thinking at 200' and 150' in altitude I would be safe. Your concerns are noted and being considered. I have read others obtaining insurance when used in commercial work, but never considered for personal use.

I believe I will be far enough away to prevent contact with the public unless I experience a major malfunction.
FYI, below is one of the requirements the FAA included in my approved 333 exemption. I'm just sharing this so you know what the FAA feels is far enough away from people.

"Flight operations must be conducted at least 500 feet from all nonparticipating persons (persons other than the PIC or VO), vessels, vehicles, and structures"

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks, That really helps my decision. I will opt out of this opportunity. Being a new pilot, I really appreciate the views from the more experienced.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've filmed a parade, you can hover the drone over an empty spot, fairly low, letting it pass by, then fly up and away for a "pan out" shot to show the entirety.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4