Suggesting a Std problem symtom form

Reaction score
Is just me or is it an increasing trend that posts here regarding flight problems uselessly describe the problem as a flyaway, when its not, automaticlly blame the Phantom itself or the firmware version or, like one who just uses the 'f' word 3 times. To be honest I'm fed up with all this and I'm, at least for a while, backing out of offering any sort help on this forum as its taking up too much time before you get down to the facts of a problem.

To try and help people as best as possible what about designing a problem flight symtom form that everyone who has a problem has to fill-in before their problem can be diagnosed? A list of simple questions describing the whole thing, model, prop-guards, payload, flight scenerio, including, battery state, firmware state, firmware upgrade procedural statement, weather conditions, environmental conditions (sea, cliffs, trees, buildings, cell towers, HT wires etc)....

Once its refined, make it a sticky.

Its so much quicker to offer diagnosis when you have all the facts and the understandable emotion is out of the way. If pilots want serious help they will go through the process of filling in the form, so we can all respond more effectively.

I remember one where there was a tumble in mid flight, and only after some post traffic it turned out that the guy was flying in 40km wind!

It would take someone with more experience and time than me to kick off with a draft form.

On another note, where are the moderators when bad language is flying about? Unless they find it acceptable of course.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Im stating to shy away from answering to many questions myself. I don't need the kind of attitude some are giving and the people who simply could not be bothered reading a manual are sometimes to much to bear.

++++1 !

Yup - I am not so active on the forums now as I'm sick to the back teeth of answering questions like "What does one green flash followed by two red flashes mean?"

We all had to read the manuals, watch the online tutorials and educate ourselves with the basics of flying these craft and I'm sorry but I'm not sitting here and going to spoon feed people too lazy to do a bit of reading or Youtube watching because they can't be bothered.

I will be the first to offer a helping hand and advice for someone who is genuinely trying to help themselves and is really stuck with an issue - but come on.... questions like "Where can I buy spare batteries" or "How do I calibrate the compass" are just laziness.

Phew... OK.. Rant over...... Who needs help :D

No, Irish, it is not just you.

It all started to go downhill around the time that the P1 price dropped. It's hard to define exactly why.

But certainly the profile of the typical Phantom owner changed. Reading and trying to understand the manual all but stopped.

With notable exceptions, posts submitted without a member location is a fair indicator the post content.

Again, in the early Phantom era, none of us expected to simply 'fly out of the box'. Many of us came over from Idea Ifly, battered and bruised, but united in the joy of just getting a quad in the air :)

+1.

There's a difference between helping newcomers and... doing it for them.

discv said:
.....With notable exceptions, posts submitted without a member location is a fair indicator the post content.....
I agree a form for problems. I also have thought when a person registers they be required to state their location and have it show in posts. Not in any way narrowed down to your GPS location, but at least the country you are in. So many times the first question asked back to the poster is "Where are you located?" Since we are all scattered all over the World it sure would help.

complaining about other people complaining.
i love it

+15 for all of you! :shock:

but on a more serious note:
IRISHSIGHTS---
WHY ARE YOU NOT ON THE ISLE OF MAN WATCHING OR AT LEAST FILMING THE TT FINALS :!: :?:

Kelso Kubat said:
i love it

How childish can you get...Grow up, if you can't be constructive keep your fingers to your own bad language posts.

IrishSights said:
Kelso Kubat said:
i love it

How childish can you get...Grow up, if you can't be constructive keep your fingers to your own bad language posts.

says the man who posted a post bitching about other people...
again why are you not at the TT bra?

Some kind of standard format for analysis of crash scenarios sounds useful to me. Explanations are a bit all over the place.

I think a lot of people are using the forum to vent. I have had one crash myself, entirely my own fault and never felt the need to share it with anyone. I had a momentary lapse and was just a bit of a rubbish pilot for a few seconds. I'm not for a moment saying that pilot error is always the case with crashes, but it definitely has to account for some of them.

About the bad language...well, I know it's not exactly a nice way to communicate, but this isn't a place of work, nor would I imagine there to be too many minors frequenting the forums (a recent poll on this suggested most users were 50+, and phantoms aren't to be used by under 18s...if you go by the box anyway).

So I'm thinking most of us here are adults, and even if I don't like it, and unless it's explicitly banned, I don't think we should be getting too worked up by vulgar language. If we were meeting in real life, people will use profanity - that's just how it is! Telling other grown men on a public forum not to use bad language sits a bit odd with me - even though I completely understand where you're coming from!

That almost makes me sound as though I'm in support of the vulgarity - I'm not! I hope my somewhat confused point is coming across here :)

Ozzyguy said:
Irishsights i would suggest doing up a rough form with a crash checklist on a pdf
My problem is I don't have the time right now with work and other priority stuff including family. Even helping out a bit with queries is out for me just now except for a short comment or 2. I'll try and start something offline but there are way more experienced pilots than me on here. So don't wait for me if anyone wants to start the ball rolling.

Below is a quick laundry list of crash report details that would make for better post-mortem by the tribe. Pasted below loses all the indenting / formatting and the forum won't let me attach .xls or .pdf. So I converted .xls to .pdf to .jpg. Feel free to take this starting point and add to it. PM me if you want me to email you the .xls.

Kelly

Aircraft details

Aircraft model
Firmware version
Gain settings
Battery status
OEM or aftermarket
approximate age
# of discharge cycles
Accessories on board
iOSD
gimbal
camera
vTx
FPV antenna
GPS tracker
Ground Station
Light Bridge
Prior crash history
Total takeoff weight
# of days/flights since last compass calibration
# of days/flights since last deep IMU calibration

Ground Equipment

Radio
FPV gear
DVR
Ground Station
Light Bridge

Flight conditions
wind speed and direction
possible RF noise sources nearby
physical obstructions nearby
compass declination
pre-flight check list
battery % / Voltage
# of satellites locked
home position recorded
flight mode at take-off

Flight details

General category of problem
Fly away
Power loss
VRS
Erratic behavior
Corrective actions taken by pilot
Pilot Narrative
Probable Cause analysis
Damage Report

Post-Crash Data
On-board video footage
DVR footage with OSD overlay
Lightbridge or other "black box" sources
Aerial map with flight path trace (e.g., Flytrex, etc.)

Attachments

• Phantom Crash Report v2 02jun14-002.jpg
    Phantom Crash Report v2 02jun14-002.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 322
Great post Kelly, I enjoyed my Shredded Wheat even more this morning!

Moderators please consider promoting this. If folks want to help refine it I'll edit my OP so its top of the thread.

Not sure how to make it actually useable to a poster with a problem tho.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

wkf94025 said:
Below is a quick laundry list of crash report details that would make for better post-mortem by the tribe. Pasted below loses all the indenting / formatting and the forum won't let me attach .xls or .pdf. So I converted .xls to .pdf to .jpg. Feel free to take this starting point and add to it. PM me if you want me to email you the .xls.

Kelly

Aircraft details

Aircraft model
Firmware version
Gain settings
Battery status
OEM or aftermarket
approximate age
# of discharge cycles
Accessories on board
iOSD
gimbal
camera
vTx
FPV antenna
GPS tracker
Ground Station
Light Bridge
Prior crash history
Total takeoff weight
# of days/flights since last compass calibration
# of days/flights since last deep IMU calibration

Ground Equipment

Radio
FPV gear
DVR
Ground Station
Light Bridge

Flight conditions
wind speed and direction
possible RF noise sources nearby
physical obstructions nearby
compass declination
pre-flight check list
battery % / Voltage
# of satellites locked
home position recorded
flight mode at take-off

Flight details

General category of problem
Fly away
Power loss
VRS
Erratic behavior
Corrective actions taken by pilot
Pilot Narrative
Probable Cause analysis
Damage Report

Post-Crash Data
On-board video footage
DVR footage with OSD overlay
Lightbridge or other "black box" sources
Aerial map with flight path trace (e.g., Flytrex, etc.)
Add if prop guards are fitted as it seems to be a common problem to do with lack of stability.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Good catch. I will add prop guards to the list.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20