Sub 70mph Vision+

Reaction score
I have been playing around some trying to improve on my personal best mph, and yesterday was a good day for me. I managed a 69.68mph and it was kind of funny cause when it took place I was watching the number on the screen as it began to slow down. And for some silly reason when it went into the 69mph range I blew air towards the screen as if it would help the 69 number reach the 70's. Now I'm just glad it did not make in the 70's, otherwise I might be tempted to blow on the screen again. LOL!

Concerning my personal best, I have manged to become the 34 fastest on Flytrex Top Speed Challenge. I'm currently 34th out of 1847 pilots who have also set records. I added new fresh props to see if it make any difference or not. Nope, none that I could tell.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7VABhPIqr0[/youtube]

Impressive Frank !!!

Can I ask where you got the dashware at the bottom from ? (The one with a graph of height, satellite count etc...)

Nice !
Was there a lot of wind?
I see you use Flytrex and advertise the utility + logger.
Have you already compared the two? Any differences such as logging frequency, differences in speed, height etc? - Your gauges seem quite choppy - is that because flytrex logs data at a lower rate (but that could also be due to my internet connection)?
I'm waiting for a nice windy day to beat my record!

dpdpkpcom said:
Impressive Frank !!!

Can I ask where you got the dashware at the bottom from ? (The one with a graph of height, satellite count etc...)

Yeah that's my all time favorite gauge. I added the yellow and change the font in some sections. I'm pretty sure that gauge came in group called glass.

Luap said:
Nice !
Was there a lot of wind?
I see you use Flytrex and advertise the utility + logger.
Have you already compared the two? Any differences such as logging frequency, differences in speed, height etc? - Your gauges seem quite choppy - is that because flytrex logs data at a lower rate (but that could also be due to my internet connection)?
I'm waiting for a nice windy day to beat my record!

Yeah I support them both, and also use both for each of my flights. I save the data from each one on all flights. They each have their own personality. They both are setup to log at different speeds. The Flytrex logs in a pattern, or sequence. They both record in milliseconds. Flytrex as mentioned goes 250, 500, 1000, 1250, 1500, 2000. The V+PU recording speed is totally based on the device being used. I use a Nexus 7 tablet and my speeds are roughly every 200 milliseconds. Out of all the devices used from other beta testers none have speeds under 200 milliseconds. There is 1000 milliseconds in each second.

In this video I had tailwind gust between 7-12mph, on the ground. Without looking at the video I believe I was around 400ft altitude, and I'm not sure what the wind does at different heights. Like at the time I was doing this flight, where I was standing at there could be no wind blowing at all. But 80yds away it would look like some of the tree tops would break off.

Setting up for a pass, I would climb to around 200ft roughly, and hover to let the quad settle in some. Then I would yaw in the direction I would think the wind was blowing towards. The flip S1 switch to atti and allow it to drift. As it's drifting I would tweak the yaw to get the quad pointing in the direction of travel, and then flip the S1 back to the GPS mode. Now I would pull back on the throttle and go back to my starting point which is always at a point where my standing area is somewhere around the middle between the start & finish points.

Very nice.... How do you get all the info in the video of Flytrex. I have a little module now for MicroSD card to log all information and put that in the website of FlyTrex.
But want create also some nice video's with these flight information in screen :) ... im a Mac OSX user

poudenes said:
Very nice.... How do you get all the info in the video of Flytrex. I have a little module now for MicroSD card to log all information and put that in the website of FlyTrex.
But want create also some nice video's with these flight information in screen :) ... im a Mac OSX user

It's a program called Dashware that is Windows only so you'll need to be using either Bootcamp or a Windows VM on your Mac to use the software.

Thanks guys!

Dashware is the hot ticket for the gauges. But be prepared to invest around 3hrs each created video. For whatever reason it takes a little too much time for the video to render when creating it. And then for my videos I put them in another video program to add additional stuff plus audio. Then that has to take it's coarse to render, and then comes the youtube part of it. I usually go do something else while the rendering is taking place.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try in attempt to going faster?

I thought if I could manipulate the pitch some it might help. So I put on two of my prop guards thinking it just might be what I'm after. But it only slowed the quad down some 10mph. Not sure if it was too much wind drag, or the weight of the guards.

flyNfrank said:
Thanks guys!

Use higher KV motors and try different models of carbon props and higher rated batteries.
Fly in very strong winds where you still can bring the quad back - 80mph should be about the max speed of an unmodded Phantom.
Max speed no wind is approx 45mph(20m/s) so in winds of up to 40mph you'd still be able to bring the quad back? (not sure I would ever try though) :lol:

Luap said:
flyNfrank said:
Thanks guys!

Use higher KV motors and try different models of carbon props and higher rated batteries.
Fly in very strong winds where you still can bring the quad back - 80mph should be about the max speed of an unmodded Phantom.
Max speed no wind is approx 45mph(20m/s) so in winds of up to 40mph you'd still be able to bring the quad back? (not sure I would ever try though) :lol:

I was just sitting here saying to my wife, You know this spee deal is kind of a bad thing to be involved in. She ask why, I said cause of being dependent of the wind blowing. I can think of times of the year where it might be calm maybe 4-5 days out of the month. Who knows, I might do some investigating to see what the different altitudes have to offer.

MadMitch88 said:
How are you getting 70 MPH on a Vision+ --- is this in ATTI mode ??

You got it....atti mode. :cool:

I uploaded the video again due to the thumbnail not showing. But it should be ok now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7VABhPIqr0[/youtube]

flyNFrank,
When I render my video in Dashware, I cover the video with a "blue screen" gauge. This results in much faster rendering. Then in my regular video editor (Sony Vegas), I use chroma key to add the gauges.
...Len

tsurt said:
flyNFrank,
When I render my video in Dashware, I cover the video with a "blue screen" gauge. This results in much faster rendering. Then in my regular video editor (Sony Vegas), I use chroma key to add the gauges.
...Len

That sounds interesting. Do you have a video that you have done this to that I can see?

tsurt said:
Here's an example of using chroma key to add gauges. I've labelled it fast flight, but it's much slower than some other flights posted here!
http://vimeo.com/107347221
...Len

As expected everything looked normal. About how time would say it takes to render doing it using the blue screen method?

I don't remember the ratio of render time, but it's less than half compared to the file that includes the complete video. The other great thing is that the rendered file containing only gauges is one tenth the size of the original video file. If your video editor supports chroma key, it's a simple matter to combine the two video streams along with sound and any other processing such as fisheye reduction.
...Len

New personal record. 73.74mph. Thanks to Team Flytrex and Team Vision + Utility Pro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5raz7FVAXA[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub