Stuttering Rotor

Reaction score
I ended up going to a local hobby store and got someone to solder the video Transmitter wires for me. Gopro and gimbal work great. After one test flight though, we realized that one of the rotors was "stuttering", we took the lid off and started it up again and it was fine. I thought maybe i tightened the lid too tight. Once i got home, i started it up again and I'm having the same problem. I watched the guy the whole time and we were very careful, could it be we just bumped some connection. Whats a good way to troubleshoot this? Have you ever had this problem?

Josho78 said:
I ended up going to a local hobby store and got someone to solder the video Transmitter wires for me. Gopro and gimbal work great. After one test flight though, we realized that one of the rotors was "stuttering", we took the lid off and started it up again and it was fine. I thought maybe i tightened the lid too tight. Once i got home, i started it up again and I'm having the same problem. I watched the guy the whole time and we were very careful, could it be we just bumped some connection. Whats a good way to troubleshoot this? Have you ever had this problem?

Do you have prop guards?

I had a problem with a stuttering motor a couple of weeks ago. I ended up replacing the ESC and the motor and it did fix it. Took me ages to work out which motor was stuttering in the first place though.... it was so 'quick' I couldn't see it happening.

I think the problem is more than likely the ESC, they seem very very sensitive to electrostatic and as careful as I've been I have spiked two in the last three months. The other thing you need to be careful of is when soldering the motor wires to the ESC is the proximity to the surface mount components. The tiniest glob of solder can cause a short and the spitting from the solder while connecting those motors is more than capable of doing that. The surface mount components are covered in a protective lacquer but you still need to be very careful.

Any video of the stuttering, I would have liked to see what this looked like. I have a motor that slows down when the voltage is low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a motor that's been on the receiving end of a crash it's probably worth replacing as that's cheaper than your whole bird falling out of the sky. :idea:

Are the LEDs under the motor flickering at all? Does that motor get hotter than the others?

Thanks for the replies.

-LEDs are working fine

-no difference in heat on motors

The one rotor skips a few times and then gets going, i suspect it may be lagging slightly. This morning I took it out to fly and on take off one of my props flew off and the whole thing came down on its back from about 6 feet. I even lost the prop. I think this because i didn't tighten the prop properly.

Everything was in working order up until I opened the lid and soldered the wires for my video transmitter. We were very careful and didn't interfere with anything inside, and nothing hit or fell into the phantom itself.

If I have to replace the motor, how much are they? and are they this sensitive?

ps I think i might know the culprit for my bummed motor. I bought a carrying case off Helipal and it may not have been the right size. The lid of the case came down pretty close to the top of the rotors, however it was hard to tell. Its the only thing i can see that may of bummed out my rotor...

i am using the stock props, i suspect i didn't tighten it right.

I went to a local hobby shop nearby and we came to the conclusion it is the ESC board, we noticed a bit of condensation on it. Going to replace it. Does anybody know what these cost and the best way to order them. I'll go through Helipal.com as thats where i got all of my gear, thought i would ask if anybody has a different way of getting parts (hopefully cheaper).

I had the same problem where one of the motors was stuttering, and when removing the lid the motor seemed fine. What I worked it out to be is. The 3 cables running out of the stock motors where not aligned properly, when I screwed the lid down it must have added some stress to the motor and caused it to stutter. So all I needed to do was to manually bend the wires so they came out of the motor straighter then problem solved. Happily flying again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.