Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Stupid Luck? Right Into A Wall... Anything To Worry About?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by PhillyAnt, Sep 2, 2015.

1. PhillyAnt

So my neighbor came over today to check out my P3P. I had it on the ground and was ready to start her up when he asked me how hard it was to fly. I told him how easy it was, but also informed him that I flew other model aircraft before my P3P. I turned her on and was ready to show him how cool it was. Went straight up about 15 ft and let go of the controls to let her hover. When I did so, my bird decided to go straight sideways into the wall of my house. I watched it all happen in slow motion. The rotors spinning, hitting the wall, dropping to the ground while still spinning and bouncing in place a few times. Uh oh...

I picked her up and looked everything over. The blades were scratched and the battery had popped out. Luckily the gimbal didn't break. I popped the battery back in and started her up and everything worked ok.

My question is, is there anything I need to worry about? Falling as hard as she did onto the pavement, I would think that something messed up. Everything seems fine though. Has any one of you done this to your drone and not noticed anything wrong?

2. III% Streve

For sure do a fresh IMU calibration. They will take a pretty good beating as long as the camera isn't impacted. Before you fly, check the compass MOD value... needs to be close to 1500. 1400 is iffy and needs a new compass calibration as well.

3. Oso

Oso

Do you know what happened? Did you take off before getting GPS locks? Is it related to the stability issues you reported earlier today?

4. mphsjeep

I rebuilt one that crashed then fell out of a 150ft tree. Just replaced the shell, did a total recalibration, flys great. Mine gets twitchy near power lines and if the ground sensors try to read grass or anything without a solid pattern.
    I think you are fine.

5. rhj12345

Don't forget to check for stress cracks around the motors.