Stuffed Up - Help Required!

Reaction score
Newby here.
Ok, so I bought a Boscam FPV TX, iosd Mini and GS and following a very helpful YouTube video I got it all soldered in neatly and securely and working fine for one flight.

Then, being a conscientious P2 owner I thought I would do a cycle on my battery. Of course I forgot to attach the antenna to my Boscam Tx, and promptly burnt it out. Bugger! I checked inside for damage and it appeared ok, and the P2 still flew fine.

So thinking I had learnt a lesson, I ordered a new Immersionrc Tx (see where this is going?). After 2 long weeks of waiting, the carrier pigeon finally arrived with my part which I excitedly slap on and plug into the plugs I had soldered in for my Boscam. Being that they were the same...WRONG! Making sure I attached my antenna I powered up and was treated by a little flash and electrical smell. Not good. Too late I find a post on a forum about the reversed polarity and frantically rewire everything, but of course to no avail.

End result:
P2 that flys fine
Iosd mini and GS getting power (green lights)
Immersion rc TX no LED
FPV obviously not working
And most worryingly, this molten blob and scorching where the fpv/ iosd plugs into the P2 (hopefully shown in the attached pic). I'm guessing the blob used to be a diode or something!

Anyway my questions are:
Can that damage be repaired and if so how?
Is my new FPV Tx likely stuffed?

I am clearly not an electrical wizard, nor do I have any fancy testing or fixing equipment so please be kind and basic in your responses :mrgreen:

UPDATE: Following my post I tried the other thing newbies never do to the frustration of regulars, and used the search function. I realised I am not unique in my predicament and tried the option of powering the fpv directly from the battery wires. This works but I am interested in what I have damaged and whether this is a safe solution?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 413
Yep that seems to be a fairly common result of a mis-wired FPV setup, power gets sent up the wrong wire and burns out that spot on the Phantom's mainboard. Although it's technically possible I've never seen anybody replace just that single component, it's usually just easier to replace the whole Phantom mainboard: http://www.allerc.com/dji-phantom-2-vis ... -8580.html

If that's beyond your skill level (it will require some basic soldering) then there are places you can get it done, here's one option: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13007

Thanks for that, I was fearing the board would be a lot more expensive. For now, soldering (I can solder ok) the fpv tx power wires directly into the battery red/ black wires appears to be working fine. Guessing it's not an ideal solution though.

That's a perfectly fine way to get power for the transmitter as long as it can handle up to 12v, and if you don't have any other need to use the port you burned out then you should be able to just stick with the solution you came up with :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj