Stuck Bearing(s)

Reaction score
So my new bearings arrived today. Only one motor is the problem child.

I've looked at all the guides and tips from people on replacement but I cannot for love nor money get either of them to budge out of the motor. I havn't opened the shell but being that they are soldered on I can't see that helping a huge amout.

I have seperated the motor, am poking a small screwdriver through one bearing at a slight angle so it catches the bearing below and trying to push that one out (knowing that once one is off i can use a dowl rod for the other. I tried pushing, tapping and even tapping with a hammer... no movement.

Is there any special trick people have used that has been missed in these guides or am I just (as always) unlucky to have two really tight bearings in one motor?

Well I managed it but holy crap was that a trauma! Ended up having to make a bracket so I could get a hammer to it without murdering the casing or coils... amazing how others have just pushed them out. One was ok (but replaced it anyway due to the bashing), other was rattling to buggery. One of the new ones slotted it easily, other needed a bit of pursading but nothing too bad.

Next purchase will be some oil to keep them lubed up. After that it'll be new motors with bullet connectors cause that was a PITA.

Lets hope it paid off!

I had the same situation and eventually just gave up, liberally oiled the stuck bearings, and reassembled the Phantom. Luckily I've had no further problems, though I now routinely oil both the top and bottom bearings. (I drilled 1/4 inch holes in the shell beneath each motor according to the instructions given by Simensays.)

I'd ordered a spare motor, just in case, and as you say, when it comes time to replace the motor I'll use bullet connectors. I might also try removing the bearings on the new motor before I install it, just to be sure it can be done without hammering!

There is so little room in the Phantom, that bullet connectors are a real pain. I installed them when I replaced my motors,
but ended up removing them, and soldered the wires directly to the esc's again.
If it weren't for that metal screw attachment in the upper shell, it would be okay, but the screw goes right through the middle
of the esc, and leaves very little room.

Audaciter said:
There is so little room in the Phantom, that bullet connectors are a real pain. I installed them when I replaced my motors,
If it weren't for that metal screw attachment in the upper shell, it would be okay, but the screw goes right through the middle

Yeah i had a feeling adding anything into the arms could be tricky due to space. Getting the motor back in was a real pain too! U have the anti gravitys?

GearLoose said:
I had the same situation and eventually just gave up, liberally oiled the stuck bearings, and reassembled the Phantom. Luckily I've had no further problems, though I now routinely oil both the top and bottom bearings. (I drilled 1/4 inch holes in the shell beneath each motor according to the instructions given by Simensays.)

I'd ordered a spare motor, just in case, and as you say, when it comes time to replace the motor I'll use bullet connectors. I might also try removing the bearings on the new motor before I install it, just to be sure it can be done without hammering!

I bust the old bearing getting it out and there was plenty of grease in it so its possible oil might have resolved it for me. Feels a lot smoother now though.

Audaciter said:

yah,. I found that out as well when i added bullet connectors, . it's a tight fit, but i made it work.

Yeah i had a feeling adding anything into the arms could be tricky due to space. Getting the motor back in was a real pain too! U have the anti gravitys?

Yes. If it does become necessary to replace your DJI motors, I highly recommend the Anti-Gravity, from T-Motor.

Additionally, if you are watching your Phantoms weight,(every gram counts) The bullet connectors are amazingly heavy
when you add the solder to them. You are filling 24 little cups with lead solder. I held those 12 bullet connectors in my
hand after removing them, and thought "Holy Cow".

Audaciter said:

Yes. If it does become necessary to replace your DJI motors, I highly recommend the Anti-Gravity, from T-Motor.

Additionally, if you are watching your Phantoms weight,(every gram counts) The bullet connectors are amazingly heavy
when you add the solder to them. You are filling 24 little cups with lead solder. I held those 12 bullet connectors in my
hand after removing them, and thought "Holy Cow".

A very valid point there. I hadn't considered that and it is very easy to forget. Easy to soon say goodbye to the extra 8% power from the AG's if not careful just doing that. Where did you source yours? I'm struggling to find a potential supplier here in Europe.

A very valid point there. I hadn't considered that and it is very easy to forget. Easy to soon say goodbye to the extra 8% power from the AG's if not careful just doing that. Where did you source yours? I'm struggling to find a potential supplier here in Europe.

I got them from Rc-Drones dot com. They are surprisingly hard to find, but worth looking for.

Audaciter said:

I got them from Rc-Drones dot com. They are surprisingly hard to find, but worth looking for.

Thanks Audaciter.... sadly they charge a small fortune for international shipping (The joys of being English). Makes it even harder to find any (and when I do they are all out of stock!). Can't really afford it at the moment so maybe i should take the hint :lol:

Thanks Audaciter.... sadly they charge a small fortune for international shipping (The joys of being English). Makes it even harder to find any (and when I do they are all out of stock!). Can't really afford it at the moment so maybe i should take the hint :lol:

Actually you are in the perfect location. Quadcopters_co_uk have the motors I want for my TBS Discovery build.
Check out the Torxpower 2216/12 Pro 900kv or 800kv Made for Torxpower by T-Motor.
Also MS2212-13 980kv.
The Pro versions are built specifically for multicopters, with genuine EZO bearings from Japan, and general better build quality
than the MS motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4