Stripped screw on my phantom 2 top shell, how to get off?

Reaction score
The phantom 2 top shell has a stripped screw; the threads are fine the philips head is stripped so it almost resembles a circle instead of the phillips head cross. My link below shows an example.

Anyone know how to go about this without cracking the shell? I need to remove my top shell to hide some wires.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment ... 2becy3.jpg

Re: Stripped screw on my phantom 2 top shell, how to get off

I had a similar problem way back - I tried a range of small torx-type drivers (the 6 pointed star type) until I found one that managed to grip the stripped head enough to be able to loosen it. Then I was able to use a small flat blade to unscrew it enough to get fingers on it. You might try a small flat blade if you don't have any torx to hand. You can also get specific screw extractor bits which look a bit like a torx. Other methods include putting a bit of masking tape over the stripped screw (sticky down) to see if that will "fill in the gaps" for a standard phillips driver, or use a piece of thin fabric to give the same effect.

Now I nip those screws at the end of the motor arms only just tight and no further, and make sure I've got a good quality 0 or 1 size screwdriver for them. Good luck!

Pull_Up said:
I had a similar problem way back - I tried a range of small torx-type drivers (the 6 pointed star type) until I found one that managed to grip the stripped head enough to be able to loosen it. Then I was able to use a small flat blade to unscrew it enough to get fingers on it. You might try a small flat blade if you don't have any torx to hand. You can also get specific screw extractor bits which look a bit like a torx. Other methods include putting a bit of masking tape over the stripped screw (sticky down) to see if that will "fill in the gaps" for a standard phillips driver, or use a piece of thin fabric to give the same effect.

Now I nip those screws at the end of the motor arms only just tight and no further, and make sure I've got a good quality 0 or 1 size screwdriver for them. Good luck!

I have never heard of a screw extracter bit, thanks for letting me know as I am going to check that out. I wonder if it will crack the plastic of the top shell since you have to use a drill (right?). I will also try the electrical tape method first, thank you.

So you got yours out using a torx at first, then flathead, then fingers. I have a torx but it is way too small (I actually use it to change dip switches on my video Tx). I also tried the flathead method and felt the most grip using that, but I could not get enough torque on it to rotate the screw.

I am posting a picture below of the screw.

Here is a picture, I really messed up this screw. I actually have managed to strip another screw, I am pretty sure I was using the included green screwdriver phillips head so I do not know why these screws strip so easily assuming that DJI gave me the right size screwdriver.

http://imgur.com/i0u5tbf

I too once stripped that screw! They are so incredibly soft!

I had to take a fine metal file and filed a transverse depression across the screw head, enough for a flat-head screw driver to get into and then removed it!

Since then, I keep a few spare screws around!

I don't use that one. I use a higher quality 0 size one which is nice and sharp...

I don't either. Weird that the screwdriver they give you doesn't work. Found that out a few weeks ago when I moved the Zenmuse anti-interference board inside the shell. Tried that screwdriver, almost stripped it. I have a set of small Philips and flathead screwdrivers that worked fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj