Stress Cracks on All 4 Corners of P2

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem? I happened to look at the underside of my P2 today and noticed that on the underside around the motor mounts there are stress cracks. One corner is so bad it looks like it will literally break off at some point in the future.

The P2 has never been crashed, never had a hard landing, and never been dropped, also I have never removed the motors so the torque on the screws is whatever the factory set them to. It has around 200 hours of flight time on it and still flies like new, so the metal frame itself is not bent.

The cracks are on all 4 corners, I attached pics of the worst two corners, the other two have very small cracks which are appearing around the motor mount screws.

Attachments

• _DSC0004.JPG
    _DSC0004.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,268
  • _DSC0005.JPG
    _DSC0005.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,107
Has anyone else had this problem? I happened to look at the underside of my P2 today and noticed that on the underside around the motor mounts there are stress cracks. One corner is so bad it looks like it will literally break off at some point in the future.

The P2 has never been crashed, never had a hard landing, and never been dropped, also I have never removed the motors so the torque on the screws is whatever the factory set them to. It has around 200 hours of flight time on it and still flies like new, so the metal frame itself is not bent.

The cracks are on all 4 corners, I attached pics of the worst two corners, the other two have very small cracks which are appearing around the motor mount screws.

desing flaw.. I'm on my 2nd shell already:mad: easy enough to replace but a pain due to all the additional items I've added over time....

Reactions: dirkclod
I believe if it was mine I be changing shells
Metal frame ?
P2V has not got one but have never looked in just a P2 .
Ya might fly it another 200 hours like that or maybe not .
I would think not and get a new shell ! JMO.

Reactions: capodrone81
I believe if it was mine I be changing shells
Metal frame ?
P2V has not got one but have never looked in just a P2 .
Ya might fly it another 200 hours like that or maybe not .
I would think not and get a new shell ! JMO.

You are right, I haven't taken mine apart in awhile, I looked through the air vents and mistook the underside of the ESC boards for metal bracing. I'll definitely need a new shell. I can see its going to be a real pain swapping the bottom half with no guarantee it won't happen again.

desing flaw.. I'm on my 2nd shell already:mad: easy enough to replace but a pain due to all the additional items I've added over time....

Same here, not to mention I finally tuned everything perfectly to eliminate jello. The minute I loosen the gimbal I'll be starting over in that department.

It'll be interesting to see if the P3 has the same problem or if they increased the strength of the mounts; especially considering the fact that the P3 has stronger motors.

My phantom is almost a year old and never been crashed. I noticed stress fractures on one arm and decided on a preventative measures by using a glue gun on all for corners. Works nicely except the upper shell near the small screw has started to shows signs.

Glue%20gun.jpg

For as many times that I have run to things including hard landings the shell is in perfect shape.

My phantom is almost a year old and never been crashed. I noticed stress fractures on one arm and decided on a preventative measures by using a glue gun on all for corners. Works nicely except the upper shell near the small screw has started to shows signs.

I have been considering using glue. Mainly because I don't want to fight with jello again. Plus I don't want to put another dime into this setup with so many new options coming on the market. Closely watching the P3, Inspire 1, and want to see what if anything GoPro does.

Cyan glue works magic. Bonds like glass with the phantom plastic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic