Stress Crack - Resolved...

Reaction score
Got the UAV Bits strong arm kit and did a bit of sanding, which takes a really long time I might add.. this plastic is not easy to sand. Painted and installed. Note to self: Those shell screws are Torx not hex screws.. UGH!

After removing screws I found that the crack was much more substantial than originally thought. I didn't really have a way to fix this so I'm hoping that the beefed up ends will make it so this doesn't matter much. Thoughts on that??

I have been very easy on my P3 so I'm thinking that it's not a matter of if it cracks but when it cracks..

Attachments

• IMG_3604.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_3604.JPG.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMG_3602.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_3602.JPG.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,122
  • IMG_3603.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_3603.JPG.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_3605.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_3605.JPG.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,109
Looks good Dronebow. So can you still use prop guards with that configuration? I would think it would add extra bulk, but was curious. I have been running prop guards since my first flight and fingers crossed, no cracking. YET...

Cheers

I only had like 3 or 4 flights before I got my UAVBITS kit. I hope they prevent anything like that.

Last edited:
I just added the kit to my phantom and noticed a big difference on the sturdiness of the arms. I think they are a good investment. I wouldn't think they work with prop guards but i haven't tried. If they don't I would take the strong arms over the guards any day.

Looks good Dronebow. So can you still use prop guards with that configuration? I would think it would add extra bulk, but was curious. I have been running prop guards since my first flight and fingers crossed, no cracking. YET...

Cheers
No, they will not work with prop guards. However UAV Bits says in about a month they will have a strong arm that is made for prop guards.

So far they seem to work well. Time will tell.

Reactions: spin2win
Got the UAV Bits strong arm kit and did a bit of sanding, which takes a really long time I might add.. this plastic is not easy to sand. Painted and installed. Note to self: Those shell screws are Torx not hex screws.. UGH!

After removing screws I found that the crack was much more substantial than originally thought. I didn't really have a way to fix this so I'm hoping that the beefed up ends will make it so this doesn't matter much. Thoughts on that??

I have been very easy on my P3 so I'm thinking that it's not a matter of if it cracks but when it cracks..
I love the black ones because everything that makes the phantom3 look more tool like is welcomed. In silver it looks kind of cheaper and its more stock looking. The only problem i have now is the shell screws from UAV Bits are super tiny, i need the right tool for it now.

I love the black ones because everything that makes the phantom3 look more tool like is welcomed. In silver it looks kind of cheaper and its more stock looking. The only problem i have now is the shell screws from UAV Bits are super tiny, i need the right tool for it now.
Use a small screwdriver with a flat head. Those screws are Torx screws. Took me a long time to figure that out. Small screwdriver worked like a charm.

Use a small screwdriver with a flat head. Those screws are Torx screws. Took me a long time to figure that out. Small screwdriver worked like a charm.
i looked at the website from UAV bits and those are actually HEX 1.5 screws and the Motor screws HEX 2.0. I have the 2.0 but not the 1.5, will have to wait until the H1.5 arrives from amazon. Looks really small. The original Shell screws are Torx9 i think.

The strong arm kit looks nice, i first thought its a bit thin when i saw it.

i looked at the website from UAV bits and those are actually HEX 1.5 screws and the Motor screws HEX 2.0. I have the 2.0 but not the 1.5, will have to wait until the H1.5 arrives from amazon. Looks really small. The original Shell screws are Torx9 i think.

The strong arm kit looks nice, i first thought its a bit thin when i saw it.
That's correct. UAV bits are different sizes on the hex heads. I happened to have a kit with both sizes. It was that dang torx head that gave me a headache until I figured out what it was.

I'm happy with mine screwed AND glued... Arms a super strong. No issues. Did 8 flights took off strong arms to see if cracks were continuing to increase or perhaps new ones.
It seemed to do what it is intended to do. Whether it's because of them or them and the glue job who knows...but all is well in my world...

Ordering these immediately. I too only have a handful of flights and I don't need any issues to arise prematurely! Nice job on these!

I will install mine today but what confuses me is that they are a bit thin and on some pictures they look deformed when mounted. I guess ppl tighten the screws to much or maybe it should be done like that?

I think that Daninho is referring to UAV bits. I sent him an email as shipping is more than the parts. Waiting for an answer.

Reactions: biff600

why the sanding? do they not come ready to mount?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4