Stress crack in the plastic shell

Reaction score
I saw this mentioned somewhere but can't find the thread anymore. In the last few days I've noticed stress cracks in the plastic around the motor mount screws. I did pull my body apart to see what was inside and balance my motors weeks ago but didn't go crazy on re-tightening my screws but did secure them down. The plastic used in this craft seems like a flaw that dji should address with future shell replacements. Don't want to spend another 60 to 70 dollars on a replacement shell and have this happen again in a few weeks. I've flown mine probably 20 some times where I've never crash landed but I have done a few tip overs at take off when it was brand new and one on a landing. Maybe this was a contributing factor as these motors have to exhibit some twisting action when they come to a near immediate stop from contacting another surface. I think the prop guards need to be standard equipment and come out very soon. Who else is seeing these cracks?

freelanceshots said:
I saw this mentioned somewhere but can't find the thread anymore. In the last few days I've noticed stress cracks in the plastic around the motor mount screws. I did pull my body apart to see what was inside and balance my motors weeks ago but didn't go crazy on re-tightening my screws but did secure them down. The plastic used in this craft seems like a flaw that dji should address with future shell replacements. Don't want to spend another 60 to 70 dollars on a replacement shell and have this happen again in a few weeks. I've flown mine probably 20 some times where I've never crash landed but I have done a few tip overs at take off when it was brand new and one on a landing. Maybe this was a contributing factor as these motors have to exhibit some twisting action when they come to a near immediate stop from contacting another surface. I think the prop guards need to be standard equipment and come out very soon. Who else is seeing these cracks?

I had these cracks and had extensive contact with the dealer who ultimately pointed me back to DJI, only to basically be told that cracks in the shell is not covered by warranty. I even took pictures of my phantom (20 something of them) and sent it to DJI for visual inspection. They noted that my propellers had green stains on it suggesting contact with foreign object. I had no hard crashes. like yourself all i did was flip my phantom on uneven grass. so to make the long story short, the fractures in the shell or any damage to the shell is considered to be caused by operator. you will eventually have to replace the shell as the fractures will spread - structural integrity has been compromised. it took a while before the stress fractures completely ground me. if you want to repair it, you can purchase and apply "plastaid" as suggested by some one on this forum. I just went and got a new shell.

A new shell is in my future plus some prop guards when ever they come out. I don't hit things very often but if you fly all the time in the wind you are bound to whack an object every once in awhile. I found a site and placed an order for props and got them and they offer somewhat better prices then the others. Selling shells for 50.00 when they have them in stock. http://www.heli-world.com/searchresult. ... goryid=951

Heli World is only a few miles away from me.

My shell is developing the stress cracks too, and I noticed when I replaced my motors, that the mounting posts are split.

I really don't think the plastic shell is up to anything but slow maneuvers, with the plastic props. Once you begin maneuvering
more aggressively, and adding weight, and performance props, the stress gets to it and it cracks under the pressure. :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj