Streaming Live Video

SaltWaterNole said:
Is it possible to stream my go pro live to family in other states via the internet?

Yep, and you can even do it while flying :)

I'm currently working on the same project, getting set up for live streams of some of my flights. There's a number of ways to achieve the same goal, from simple (Skype) to more complex (a dedicated streaming site like Twitch.tv). However most any of those options will require you to at least have a video input adapter for your PC/laptop that will accept the RCA output of your gopro or FPV receiver. There's dozens of options for that part, here's the one I'll be testing first: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036VO2BI/

Thank you very much!!!! Will turning on the GoPro wifi need to be done to achieve this? If so, could that interfere w/ the phantoms GPS causing it to fly away?

How's your project coming along? Any updates to share?

I just need to order the part and hook everything up....and then time to fly :)

Do you have FPV on your Phantom? You're correct that you do NOT want to have the gopro's own wifi on while flying, so you'll need any of the common sets of equipment to broadcast the video from air to ground.

I do have FPV and absolutely love it. The fact that i can take my eyes off the copter and navigate w/ ease is priceless.

I'm really new to this stuff so if you could explain what steps I would need to take to accomplish a live stream, it would be very much appreciated. Just trying to figure out where I need to start. I will be happy to share my experience w/ everyone as well.

Short answer: connect the output of your FPV receiver to your PC and stream from there.

I'll get more details as soon as I confirm the full setup will work, but once you've made the connection to your PC it's just largely a matter of your choice in streaming paths or methods.

Two things it will help to know/determine:

1. What's the best delivery method for your audience...how many people? do they use Skype? All in the US?

2. What video receiver do you use?

Im assuming the connection would be made with the Hauppauge usb?

I would think for now my audience will be mainly from the states but that could change with time.

Video Receiver? Would that be my cloverleaf tx and rx? OR AVL 58/ 5.8G Video Link?

NEVER turn on GoPro wifi when flying.

I recommend Ustream.com.

SaltWaterNole said:
Im assuming the connection would be made with the Hauppauge usb?

Correct. The AVL58 receiver is what I was asking about, and you can take the video output from that and connect it to the Hauppage adaptor's RCA plug.

Ustream is a great service, but there's workable options for much less (i.e. free).

Whoops, I thought it was free depending on audience.
Guess I was on the trial or it has been long and they changed something.

yeah I think I remember using them for free for a while in the past...I guess they realized they could get more money out of their turnkey solution, which I admit is nice.

Awesome. I'll order the adapter today and write up my experience to share w/ all.

Im assuming I'll hook the Hauppauge Usb to my FPV screen which then would connect to my laptop. From there i need to find a place to stream whether its Skype or Ustream etc etc..

I hope it is as easy as it seems.

SaltWaterNole said:
Awesome. I'll order the adapter today and write up my experience to share w/ all.

Im assuming I'll hook the Hauppauge Usb to my FPV screen which then would connect to my laptop. From there i need to find a place to stream whether its Skype or Ustream etc etc..

I hope it is as easy as it seems.

That's the principle, anyway. Unless they've improved in recent years, however, analogue to digital converters (that's what the Hauppage device is) don't work terribly well. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it.

SaltWaterNole said:
Hey Harry,

After I connect my "receiver" w/ cloverleaf antenna to my "lithium" battery I'm left with one female end RCA cable available. Is that all I need in order to connect the Hauppauge analogue converter? Pic in link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29x6jp4ce0gie ... ection.jpg

The normal colour coding for RCA connectors is:

Yellow: Composite video
Red and black: Right and left audio channels

I suspect (but please don't take this as gospel) that you need a splitter to plug in to that yellow connector - that's the video feed. You should be able to confirm this by looking at the manual for your FPV monitor and seeing what the inputs are.

HarryT said:
I suspect (but please don't take this as gospel) that you need a splitter to plug in to that yellow connector - that's the video feed. You should be able to confirm this by looking at the manual for your FPV monitor and seeing what the inputs are.

Correct. SaltWaterNole what monitor are you using...is it one with the receiver built in?

SaltWaterNole said:
No. I strap my receiver and cloverleaf using double sided industrial velcro. Basic 7in screen 800*480.

That pretty much confirms it then. Get an RCA splitter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-Male ... B000068O4Y

and plug it into the yellow RCA. Plug one of the two outputs into the cable that you currently have plugged into the yellow RCA, and plug the other output into the Hauppauge device. You should then be good to go.

Let us know how it goes!

Great. Will order tonight. Cant wait to give it a try. I will keep you guys posted moving forward.

Any other recommendations besides Hauppauge?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik