Strange take-off, tilting sideways

Reaction score
I noticed during the last few flights that my Phantom tilts sideways when I push the left stick forward to increase altitude. If I'm going slow, the tilting is hardly noticeable, if I push it harder, it tilts pretty bad.
It's almost to a point where I fear that it will flip to the side. I'm guessing it's tilting easily 30 degree during a strong take-off.

I installed a few days ago the IOSD mini and an TX. So could it be that the extra weight changed the balance of the rig so bad to behave like it does currently?
I never noticed this tilting prior installing my FPV system.

Not quite sure, maybe it's not the FPV gear but one motor is losing power for whatever reason?

Well, what do you guys think? How is your loaded up P2 behaving during fast alt. gains?

Btw. It was a very calm day today, no wind whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Usually, the easiest fix is to take off faster. Having extra weight on that side from the FPV doesn't help but shouldn't be a problem itself. Make sure your IMU and compass are in calibration. The only other thing I can think of is it is usually still acquiring satellites after it records the home location so when you go to take off, it may think it needs to move horizontally to get back to the location it is supposed to be in. Does it land at an angle as well?

ianwood said:
Usually, the easiest fix is to take off faster. Having extra weight on that side from the FPV doesn't help but shouldn't be a problem itself. Make sure your IMU and compass are in calibration. The only other thing I can think of is it is usually still acquiring satellites after it records the home location so when you go to take off, it may think it needs to move horizontally to get back to the location it is supposed to be in. Does it land at an angle as well?

If I take off faster it will tilt even more. During slow take offs it stays pretty much leveled.
I did the advanced calibration for the IMU after I installed the FPV gear and also today once I noticed the strange takeoff. I also do the compass calibration prior every flight, even if I'm flying in the same area as before.
I'm blessed with satellites around me, usually I have >10 satellites prior take off.
It lands just fine, nice and level. Also during hover it stays level without problems....it is only during fast take offs and once I'm airborne during fast increases in altitude.
It also stays leveled during faster descents.

I'm tending more and more that one motor is acting up.
Once I shut off the motors, they don't stop spinning at the same time. It seems like that one motor is stopping a bit earlier. I did spin the props by hand to see if I can feel a rough bearing or some drag or friction but it felt fine, similar to the other ones.

You didn't happen to solder a power leads off the ESC on motor side that is questionable did you?

EMCSQUAR said:
You didn't happen to solder a power leads off the ESC on motor side that is questionable did you?

No, I only soldered the gear for the FPV, motors and ESC are all stock, nothing done to them.

Does one motor get warmer than the rest after flight? If so, that could indicate a defective motor.
It looks like that one motor is unable to provide as much peak power as the other, which would explain the tilt at full power but not on descent or hover. Check ESC, props and motors.

macheung said:
Does one motor get warmer than the rest after flight? If so, that could indicate a defective motor.
It looks like that one motor is unable to provide as much peak power as the other, which would explain the tilt at full power but not on descent or hover. Check ESC, props and motors.

I could not feel a difference in temperature amongst the motors.
How to check the ESC?
I'm going to snap a quick video tonight so that you get an idea how it looks like.

Alright, here are two quick videos.
Please excuse the bad quality, I used my BlackBerry.

I pushed the left stick straight forward, no other stick input.
As you can see, the Phantom is during one take-off almost out of control.

What would be your guess?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6VSPRPr5LY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=url5IaTu81M&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

It appears the right front motor is pulling harder than the rest. A long shot - have you tried recalibrating your sticks? Another thing to check is the Quad configuration - In asst -> basic -> Aircraft - make sure it's on quad X (second choice)

EMCSQUAR said:
It appears the right front motor is pulling harder than the rest. A long shot - have you tried recalibrating your sticks? Another thing to check is the Quad configuration - In asst -> basic -> Aircraft - make sure it's on quad X (second choice)

I'm also suspecting something about the motors.
Either one is pulling harder or one is pulling less than the others.

I will check my setting tomorrow but I'm quite sure it's in quadX mode.

EMCSQUAR said:

Just checken the Setting, it is on quad X.
Remote is calibrated.

I'm lost now.....what's next to check?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391881084.842741.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391881084.842741.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 638
This is where the motor diagnostic tool for the P1 would be handy. DJI really needs to get on that. If the motor is no hotter or cooler than the others after a full flight, my money is on a bad ESC.

ianwood said:
This is where the motor diagnostic tool for the P1 would be handy. DJI really needs to get on that. If the motor is no hotter or cooler than the others after a full flight, my money is on a bad ESC.

Yeah, would be nice to have some sort of diagnostics tool.
The motors are all the same temp.

I guess I'll order a new ESC. Question is, is one motor pulling stronger or one motor pulling less.... I would hate to solder the ECU in just to find out it's not the proper motor.... Frustrating without being able to pinpoint the root cause.

Just pulled the cover to see if there is anything fishy inside.
Looks all good to me.

See picture, this is how I mounted the IOSD and the can bus connector.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391882924.109849.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391882924.109849.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 626
Pulled the Tx and did a few take offs, seems to be a bit better.
Hard to imagine that the Tx is throwing the P2 so far off balance.
Anyhow, just relocated the Tx, going for a test flight now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391884639.950198.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391884639.950198.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 610
It's bit better now, still some tilting during take off.
I also put four brand new props on prior the flight.

I guess I just fly it like this and see how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4