Strange Power Loss & Descent

Reaction score
I had a strange but, thankfully, short occurrence the other day. I have hesitated to report it because I'm not entirely sure what happened. However, I just read of a power failure in another thread so I thought I'd post my impressions at least.

I was in a fairly fast, deliberate descent when it began to descend uncontrollably - it would not respond to throttle. It was also at that second, I think (not sure), that the recorder on the camera stopped and that I hit the first battery level warning level, whatever that is. I don't think power was ever lost, but it seemed power-related. Thankfully, it responded to throttle before meeting ground.

My very rough theory is that it was a power issue which may or may not have been related to fast descent and the battery getting to the first warning level. Beyond that I don't know.

adanac said:
I had a strange but, thankfully, short occurrence the other day. I have hesitated to report it because I'm not entirely sure what happened. However, I just read of a power failure in another thread so I thought I'd post my impressions at least.

I was in a fairly fast, deliberate descent when it began to descend uncontrollably - it would not respond to throttle. It was also at that second, I think (not sure), that the recorder on the camera stopped and that I hit the first battery level warning level, whatever that is. I don't think power was ever lost, but it seemed power-related. Thankfully, it responded to throttle before meeting ground.

My very rough theory is that it was a power issue which may or may not have been related to fast descent and the battery getting to the first warning level. Beyond that I don't know.
I'm not looking for answers here, more posting my impressions in case this ever becomes a thing, as it were.

adanac said:
adanac said:

I'm not looking for answers here, more posting my impressions in case this ever becomes a thing, as it were.

Are you sure that it was not just a vortex ring state loss of lift?

I think it was something else. I wouldn't categorize this as a power failure since your system did not re-boot. I've seen a couple videos in which the pilot was flying along then all of a sudden it drops from the sky like a hammer. You can see the gimbal flailing away and then a series of power-up lights. Even at a high distance, there is not enough time to recover from a complete power-down.

Since I have not had the problem again and I was indeed in a vertical descent, I think it may have indeed been vortex ring state.

Diesel31 said:
I think it was something else. I wouldn't categorize this as a power failure since your system did not re-boot. I've seen a couple videos in which the pilot was flying along then all of a sudden it drops from the sky like a hammer. You can see the gimbal flailing away and then a series of power-up lights. Even at a high distance, there is not enough time to recover from a complete power-down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik