Strange lights in the sky

Reaction score
Still slightly new at this but getting better in all flight modes. However tonight I noticed something odd and if this has been covered before, I'm most sorry. I had just taken off after getting my rapid blinks of green, brought the quad to about 6 feet off the ground to a hover in gps mode, turned on the go-pro, switched to atti and did a hard fast climb to several hundred feet for grins and giggles. The temp outside was about 36 degrees, at the top of the climb to hover I saw several red flashes, maybe six, then about 4 to 6 yellow flashes, them the normal atti flashes, this was all on a fully charged pack. Having not seen this before I switched to gps go home mode and brought the bird back down. I've read that you can see red flashes on a hard fast climb, but as I said this pac was at full capacity. Then the yellow flashes, did I lose the rx or something. Any help on this would be great, in the meantime she stays grounded.

Tony
Reno NV

Red flashes can definitely occur on rapid ascents..
and perhaps you'll see red flashes if for some reason you start getting less than 7 satellites.

There are two sets of fast flashing green LEDs.The first is to indicate forward direction and home point is established and the second set comes when the GPS has acquired 6 or more satellites and is often preceded by some red flashes.
You probably took off after the first set and before the second set,so you were in the air when the GPS acquired satellites.

That's the way it works with my Phantoms,it may be different if you have a Phantom Vision or Phantom 2.

The RED after a hard climb even on a fully charged pack is not uncommon in my experience. Was it a DJI Pack or a after market?

I am not sure about the rapid yellow it would all be speculations. But Lost of Sat below 6, Home Lock, atti mode switch, lots of possibilities.

What I have found is if I see something out of its LED REAR I do not understand I get low and watch for issues. If it is stable after a couple of minutes I go back to play time.

BallisticPhantom said:
The RED after a hard climb even on a fully charged pack is not uncommon in my experience. Was it a DJI Pack or a after market?

I am not sure about the rapid yellow it would all be speculations. But Lost of Sat below 6, Home Lock, atti mode switch, lots of possibilities.

What I have found is if I see something out of its LED REAR I do not understand I get low and watch for issues. If it is stable after a couple of minutes I go back to play time.

It was a DJI pack, and yes I agree, bring it down. the one thing I forgot to mention was that after that fast climp I lost TX control for about 7secs. could the flashing yellow been a loss of TX signal?

PTCX said:
There are two sets of fast flashing green LEDs.The first is to indicate forward direction and home point is established and the second set comes when the GPS has acquired 6 or more satellites and is often preceded by some red flashes.
You probably took off after the first set and before the second set,so you were in the air when the GPS acquired satellites.

That's the way it works with my Phantoms,it may be different if you have a Phantom Vision or Phantom 2.

I think I have a Phantom 2, however per-flight is always the same. connect the battery let it do its warm-up then it will always flash 3 red and a green for a bit, then 2 red and a green for a bit, then 1 red and 1 green, then finally several green flashes, then a steady green flash. I never fly before this sequence has completed. So I think I've acquired 6 or better sat's, with this process. However If that's not right, please let me know.

Phantasmic said:
Uhrlto said:
I had just taken off after getting my rapid blinks of green, brought the quad to about 6 feet off the ground to a hover in gps mode, turned on the go-pro,

How did you turn on the GoPro while it was hovering?

It sure sounds like the GoPro's Wifi was on and you used the GoPro remote or the GoPro phone app.

Easy, just pressed the top button. I don't use the WI-fi in the go-pro as I have heard that it can interfere with flight controls

Yes that is important information that you lost connection. The yellow may have indicated that. Why it allowed reconnection is odd though. If it lost connection it should have gone into rth mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20