Straight up and straight down!

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm brand new to drones in general, but have been crazy excited about my new P4! I've flown 10 or so trips, half of them on beginner mode without a hitch. I've been so excited about the whole idea so my dad came over today to check it out. I've done all of my firmware updates, I ran through my checklist and conditions were perfect when I launched from my back yard.
I took the drone up to 10m and was demonstrating the gimbal when my dad asked how high it could go. I pushed up on the stick and the drone climbed up to roughly 100m and suddenly shut down! My heart stopped as suddenly as the propellers and I frantically tried to restart both as it fell from the sky. I was able to get the propellers going momentarily but couldn't save it from crashing and destroying the craft!
Obviously, this isn't a common thing, but it seems it isn't the first time it's happened and I was wondering if the group could potentially give me an idea as to what went wrong?
As I mentioned, I was increasing altitude, so I don't believe either of the sticks were in position to kill the motors.
Was it potentially the rate I was climbing?
Or, does this happen more often than I know?
It just seems like an expensive hobby if they just fall out of the sky from time to time.
Thanks in advance for your input...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

At 100 metres high it is difficult to see if the props are turning, when you stop climbing the motor noise reduces quite dramatically. You say you tried to restart the motors, you may have inadvertently stopped motors that were already running.
The usual cause of a dramatic fall as you describe is an inadvertent CSC, or battery not securely installed.
As suggested by Grammaton upload your flight log and you will get an answer.

Reactions: maggiacman
Hello everyone.
I'm brand new to drones in general, but have been crazy excited about my new P4! I've flown 10 or so trips, half of them on beginner mode without a hitch. I've been so excited about the whole idea so my dad came over today to check it out. I've done all of my firmware updates, I ran through my checklist and conditions were perfect when I launched from my back yard.
I took the drone up to 10m and was demonstrating the gimbal when my dad asked how high it could go. I pushed up on the stick and the drone climbed up to roughly 100m and suddenly shut down! My heart stopped as suddenly as the propellers and I frantically tried to restart both as it fell from the sky. I was able to get the propellers going momentarily but couldn't save it from crashing and destroying the craft!
Obviously, this isn't a common thing, but it seems it isn't the first time it's happened and I was wondering if the group could potentially give me an idea as to what went wrong?
As I mentioned, I was increasing altitude, so I don't believe either of the sticks were in position to kill the motors.
Was it potentially the rate I was climbing?
Or, does this happen more often than I know?
It just seems like an expensive hobby if they just fall out of the sky from time to time.
Thanks in advance for your input...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Please upload your flight log, there is no point in asking for help if the experienced members can't see what happened and as a bonus if it was the fault of your P4 then DJI should replace it. I am just about to collect my P4 and if there is any chance that a flat out climb could cause a flat out drop I will wait until my warranty is nearly expired before I try it multiple times to try to replicate the problem.

I'm fairly new to these drones too and when I have sent them up at full speed and let go the throttle it seems to momentarily fall with what appears to seem like the rotors have stopped. It then would speed up again very quickly to hold altitude. Maybe this is what made you try a restart and shut it down instead. As others have said that by uploading your flight logs you will get your answer as all information would have been recorded. Looking forward to finding out if it was a fault or pilot error, all the best fella.

When you're in flight, nothing you do with the sticks will make the props shut down, ever.
The motors will always shut down mid-flight if you do a CSC. The command is a little different once your Phantom is in the air though. It must be done like this:

CSC.png

Reactions: Pharm
There could be many reasons for a free fall, no point in guessing the cause, as suggested above, please get us your logs.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: maggiacman
It was changed to three seconds of holding the sticks in that position. Still can stop motors, but it takes longer now.

However, I just noticed this thread is a p4 thread, so I am unsure of the P4 command. Sorry, I don't want to give misleading info (Backs away slowly)..

Can u explain, i.m not trolling, genuinely eant to know if i could do something to cauae the motors to stop. In the past csc was down and in for both sticks but i thought that was changed
See Msinger's post above (post # 8).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic