Stong Winds = Shaky Footage

Reaction score
I tried using the medium Stabilizer setting in Vegas 12 to no avail, any suggestions or optimal setting for this out there?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUVGmOuIID8[/youtube]

Not something I use ... but did see couple of posts about using this for stablising and mentioned to render stabilisation first, then re-render for last edit .... ???

"The most efficient method
is for you to stabilize and render out your large shaky footage
first, then drop it back on the timeline for final edit."

might be worth a try to see if helps .... unsure ... Im saving for new PC and Adobe vid setup as all my work laptops arent spec'd enough for vid editing

You can't easily to a good job stabilizing footage if it is has a lot of motion blur (from a slower exposure) and/or if there is a lot of lens distortion. Your video has both, so there is no simple software fix for that. This is why Vegas is doing a trash job stabilizing. Post production stabilizing is really only good if you are already dealing with good footage (or ideal footage). I've worked in video editing for quite some time so I'll give you an awesome tip. Don't waste your time trying to fix that video, because even if you make it appear stable, you will not get a great video, due to the distortion, motion blur, etc.

If you really want to make it work anyway - here is what I would try:
Get some better software for this (like After Effects).
Remove/correct the lens distortion first so you are dealing with a flat image (or as close as possible).
Then create a sharper, more high contrast copy of the video.
Stabilize that copy with AE Warp Stabilizer
Then apply that stabilization correction to the first lens-distortion-corrected footage.
Then reapply lens distortion.

That is about the best way I can think of to try to fix that if you want to try, but the biggest tip I can give you - Start with good footage.

Yep. Gimbal is the solution if you have that much trouble. I posted a video a while back that was taken in very strong winds with the motors dipping down half way into the video but the horizon was stable. A gimbal is awesome.

I have only had medium success/luck with stabilizing in post - minor issues are fine but anything serious and you lose too much. Here is the video - it is in low rez since the stabilization was the point. Think of what the final edit would be like if this was done in post instead of on the gimbal. You would only see about 20 percent of the screen and that would be wavy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgaUI_3LLI[/youtube]

Dramatically different given the buffeting your Phantom is taking, I will definitely keep an eye on the gimbal releases for the P2V, but in the meantime continue to practice flying ATTI, and generally trying smooth flying techniques. Oh and learning more about video editing, hmm, a lot of new stuff to do... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4