Stolen Phantom! Who do I inform besides police

Reaction score
My brand new (less than 30 days) Phantom V2+ was stolen out of my truck. How do I contact DJI and should I? What about user groups like this? At some point they will try to fly it or pawn it. I'm just at a loss right now and a bit upset. I bought it for a specific use that I needed it for today. Should I post this notice elsewhere on this site? I have the original box with the serial #'s Thank you

Make sure to post a full description of your Phantom so we can be on the look-out for it!

I don't think there's any way posting info on this forum will help you get your Phantom back unless it's quite distinctive in some way. It might help remind us to be more careful though.

And in all seriousness I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Your car insurance should cover it minus deductible . Assuming you have comprehensive coverage

BusterM said:
My brand new (less than 30 days) Phantom V2+ was stolen out of my truck. How do I contact DJI and should I? What about user groups like this? At some point they will try to fly it or pawn it. I'm just at a loss right now and a bit upset. I bought it for a specific use that I needed it for today. Should I post this notice elsewhere on this site? I have the original box with the serial #'s Thank you

Items stolen from your car is covered by your home owners or renters insurance. Call your insurance company!

$1000 deductible. not worth the hike in rates for $600 will have to take it on the chin. Stolen in my driveway in a gated neighborhood.

BusterM said:
$1000 deductible. not worth the hike in rates for $600 will have to take it on the chin. Stolen in my driveway in a gated neighborhood.

Did they break the window? You shouldn't get an increase in rate since it's not a moving violation. Check with your home owners ins.

Based on the info you have mentioned here, I would pay close attention to any teenager living near you. Especially ones that can see your quad flying if you have flown it from your house. Other then that, this would have had to of happened from someone randomly walking checking vehicles and chances it came from this are doubtful. The person that has it now more then likely knew before hand that you owned a quad.

Re: Stolen Phantom! HOW TO TRACE it once found

Are there specific tracking markings that can prove the PV2+ is mine? So if stolen, then found, I can prove it is mine? Or maybe hide something inside it?

ANYONE Have any ideas they have done?

Re: Stolen Phantom! HOW TO TRACE it once found

flyingtim said:
Are there specific tracking markings that can prove the PV2+ is mine? So if stolen, then found, I can prove it is mine? Or maybe hide something inside it?

ANYONE Have any ideas they have done?

The MAC address should be relatively unique. Can't remember if the birds SN shows up in the Assistant, but the battery SNs do. Would be nice if DJI would allow you to input user info into the non-volatile memory with name, address, phone number, etc.. May Devices offer this...phones, tablets, GPS units, even my computerized telescopes.

Was the controller stolen, too? Did your Phantom have a battery in it? Battery charger? If only the Phantom, the thief won't be flying it very much, so keep your eye on Craig's list, Ebay, etc. Where are you located in case some of us are nearby and can key our eyes open for it in the field and on-line selling and auction sites.

Well drone was stolen outside Indianapolis along with an old cellphone. Cellphone was found in stolen car from my area near Cincinnati. Obviously not kids in the neighborhood. Now checking Cincy area craigslist and ebay but not holding my breath.

Not sure about your area, but around here contacting the police would be the first step. Get it reported. If its a smaller community, they may check all the pawn shops. Here pawn shops are required to hold onto items for a period of time before selling just in case its stolen goods. Granted I will assume not all follow this, but most around here are indeed standup companies. At the very least I would contact all of them in case one comes in and ask them to get a copy of ID or something.

In May I purchased a P2V+ using a AMEX card. AMEX (and others) have Purchase Protection plan that's added benefit in using their card. Any item that you purchase using the American Express Card has a Purchase 'Protection benefit. If what you purchase is broken, stolen etc. you may be able to get some of your money back. While I was in a Federal National Park early summer someone stole only the bird (it's a long story). I reported it to the Park Rangers. They really were a Big Help. They determined who they thought was the theft but nothing could be found. A report was completed by the Park Ranchers of which I requested a copy. AMEX requires lots of documentation. There has to be some form of documentation by police. The decision to help is made on a case by case basis. It takes time but in the end AMEX placed a credit for $1,000 (the max they will give per incident) credit on my AMEX card. I understand that it's not just AMEX that has program's like this. It doesn't pay for everything but it really helps.

I just got off the phone with my insurance agent about coverage for my photographic equipment and as the last topic I mentioned the Phantom. I asked him if I should document its model, serial number etc for any future claims, and he said (aside from the fact that it would be covered under home "contents"), is that the most important thing to do after a theft would be to contact the police and file a report. So if you are expecting insurance reimbursement, I think you will probably want to file a police report.

Theft or comprehensive should not hit yours rates unless it keeps happening.
I think the first time mine is opened up I just might scribe or sharpie a SS# inside the housing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie